It’s up to me to get it right!

In my lessons recently my coach Belinda Trussell has been emphasizing is that I must give with the reins. Give before every half halt, give before every transition up or transition down, give before every movement. The problem I had was that once Biasini was fired up I would give and he would speed up. This happened most in the trot work. He would start to race when I would give.

What could I do about this? The answer came in a lesson this past week. Belinda pointed out that I was leaning back behind the vertical. This means I am in a “driving seat” . To the horse this is an aid to go forward and go faster. Well surprise, surprise…the problem was one of my own making. In the next lesson I focused on staying upright and also on slowing my own tempo down. Slowing down my own body movement is tricky thing to do but it works. Slowing my body, staying up and not falling back meant that Biasini did not start racing. Problem solved!

This photo was taken on March 4 #dressinblue day. This was to acknowledge those whose lives have been affected by colorectal cancer. I am a 22 year survivor! Biasini and I both dressed in blue.

1. Amy says:

22 year survivor, congratulations Anne!! What a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

Thank you. I am fortunate to still be here. I know others who are not. Thanks for your comment.

2. J.W.S. says:

I’m sure you will get it.

I will. Just a matter of time. Thanks .

3. Maria says:

Congratulations on 22 years Anne!

How wonderful that your recent lesson was that enlightening!

I am very grateful to still be here. Thanks for your comment Maria.

4. Alli Farkas says:

It’s amazing how much “stuff” we do while on a horse that we are totally unaware of. My trainer (she’s a protege of the trainer I lost a year and a half ago) is spending a considerable amount of lesson time quieting all the unnecessary motion in my body. Make each aid clear and concise, one at a time…(while I try to figure out why all my mismatched body parts are in the unintended positions they’re in) 😁

I hear you Alli! The horse can only respond to what he thinks he is hearing .

5. cigarman501 says:

Nuances, nuances!

You got it πŸ˜€

6. Diana says:

Congratulations on 22 years Anne! ❀️ And I know the hard work and practice that goes into your lessons. It takes such dedication, drive and determination. You’ve got this! Biasini and you look beautiful/handsome in Blue!! πŸ’™

Thank you Diana. In today’s lesson I found success in staying upright. We did some trot work and Belinda said it was very good. Biasini also offered some nice passage! Bonus!

7. Lesley says:

It must take a lot of practice to rectify a mistake until the resolution comes natural. There’s more to horse riding than we would think!

A gorgeous photo of you and ‘the blue boy’, Anne. Many congratulations on your 22 year survival anniversary! 🀩

Thank you for your comment Lesley. It is hard to get a new physical response to become automatic. But I will get it. And yes I am celebrating 22 years.