“Phew”! But then “Uh Oh”!

I’m sure I am not the only amateur rider who gets through a difficult movement and thinks “Whew! Nailed it!” and then “Uh Oh!” I have lost something; the frame, the impulsion, the bend, there is always something that disappears in that split second of jubilation.

In my Friday lesson this past week Belinda had me doing a half pass from center line to quarter line in canter, straighten, flying change and then 10 meter circle. I know this is an exercise to lay in the groundwork for a canter half pass zig zag. That zigzag is my nemesis, so working on exercises that require the same riding principles without actually doing the zig zag with me falling back to old bad habits is a good idea. For this exercise Belinda’s expectations are:

1. A good turn onto the centerline. No falling in or motorcycling. Two hands, two reins even on both sides.
  2. Half pass . No forehand leading. No quarters leading or trailing. Frame is up . Active behind. No pulling down. Light in my hands.
  3. Straighten at the quarter line. Set up for flying change. No loss of uphill frame.
  4. Flying change. Clean change. Active. Uphill.
  5. After the change . No loss of frame or activity. No dipping down.
  6. 10 Meter circle. No motorcycling into the circle. Staying up and even. No loss of frame. No dipping down. No loss of bend.

The Whew Moment is Number 5. That is where I am busy congratulating myself on how well the half pass and change has gone and …..Uh Oh! My 10 meter circle is not up to par! I will end up motorcycling into it or Biasini will have dipped down and that nice uphill frame is lost. Belinda will have noticed this and she will let me know exactly what it is that I have just lost.

What to do? Well, I have to do the exercise again and Belinda will remind me of what I should have done to avert that moment.

1. As soon as we land that flying change I do not take a even a second to congratulate myself .
  2. I half halt Biasini and depending on what Biasini needs in that moment it can be a ‘shoulder blade only’ half halt or a more serious, more physical half halt!
  3. Keep Biasini balanced and even in both reins and between both legs as we turn onto the circle.
  4. Through all of this I keep my own core balance and sit. Sit! Sit! Sit! ( in the saddle)

So there you have it. Here is a video from the end of my Friday lesson. In the video I am doing a different exercise, shoulder in to half pass in trot, but all the same principles apply. No Whew! and therefore no Uh Oh!

This week’s featured image is (C) Connie Gee.

1. Dina says:

BEAUTIFUL, what a lovely video!! ❤ A treat to watch and listen to. ❤

I am delighted to know you enjoyed the video. Thanks for letting me know!

2. To me this is a wonderful video, a treat to watch.

Thank you Subbashini!

I always Love seeing you and Biasini with Belinda’s beautiful voice coaching you along on your videos! Beautiful! And you describe so well all the nuances of your rides. So much to think about!! ❤️🐴😍

Thank you for this supportive comment Diana. I am so glad you gef something from the videos of my lessons

4. David says:

When Elizabeth was 11-12, she went through a phase where she couldn’t buy a flying lead change. Trish spent four weeks with her. Did a lot video and still photos on what she was missing. They got it worked out.

For me it’s not the flying change that is a problem . Biasini and I can do a line or 7 two tempis. But with the zig zag I am always so happy to have done the half pass and a good change and be ready for the half paaa in the other direction that I congratulate myself and in that second I have lost the uphill frame or the new bend or something else. So I cannot allow myself any smiling until I have completed the entire movement. Maybe it would be like clearing a tough triple combination and allowing a moment of relief and then missing the set up for the next fence.

5. Irene says:

Even though I know absolutely nothing about horses, I so enjoy watching your videos. I found myself wanting to clap for you and Biasini even time Belinda said an enthusiastic “YES!” 😁

Thank you so much Irene. I am very happy to know that you enjoy the videos even though you are not a horse person . I appreciate your letting me know.

6. doar nicole says:

Interestingly said, “always something that disappears in that split second of jubilation.” And true, very nice how you stressed that idea, that in a fraction of a moment things can take an unwanted turn, a detail… but how important sometimes, and how staying neutral during that split second can make all the difference.

You have put it very well Nicole. 🙂

7. Auntysocial says:

I’m literally sat here laughing because of this being your “Uh-oh” moment compared to mine.

Hopped up onto a cob mare at the yard bareback and swung my leg over, got sat upright, shuffled forward a little bit as you do then slid off right round to the right like butter dripping from a knife. All the way too I couldn’t save myself or get balanced and just plopped onto the floor killing myself laughing.

Honestly I’m in awe of how graceful you two are in these videos, how Biasini is never anything but immaculately turned out and how I inexplicably slid off a stationary horse.

Great video you look so good together 🙂

Thanks for this honest comment. I had to smile. Stuff like that can just happen sometimes. And thenk you for the nice compliments about Biasini and me.

1. Auntysocial says:

No idea how it happened and best thing is I was already sat up. Just kinda went Prrffftt like she’d been covered in butter or lard. Didn’t help realising I was about to exit stage right cos I got a laugh on and couldn’t save myself. Lucy stood there nudging me on the ground “What… on Earth… was that??”

Biasini is the shiniest horse i ever saw. Gorgeous 😀

Lucy is a good girl. Biasini is shedding his summer coat and in a couple of weeks will be a hairy fellow . Time for a clip. As we will be here all winter this year I will get him a trace clip and see how that goes.