Two Steps Forward and…..

Two steps forward and one step back. That’s how it’s supposed to go. But what about those times when you  feel that you’ve taken two steps forward and two steps back and have made no progress at all. .  That is the circle I found myself in last week. My coach, Belinda Trussell, took a video of my lesson. Video does not lie. It is a very useful learning tool because it gives you a reality check.

When I looked at the video from that lesson I said: ” What am I doing? My hands are too high. My arms are too rigid. I’m too stiff in my back.”  I was very annoyed with myself. I saw things I had corrected months ago that had come creeping back. ARGH!

At the beginning of my next lesson I told Belinda that I was annoyed with myself and how badly I had ridden. She said: “I don’t totally agree with you. How do you think Biasini was going in the lesson?”  I thought about it and said: ” He was OK but he can be much better.”

We went  on to discuss why I was tight in my arms and  body and why Biasini was not going as well as he could. The nub of it is this: if I feel he is pulling or getting heavy in  my hands I must lighten him immediately. Legs on more. Hands lighter.  Make those corrections immediate. Because if I tolerate less than the best from him then my arms will get tight because he  will be pulling. This is nothing new. It’s the basics!

So in the lesson we worked on  that. Basics.Basics. Basics. And I had to work without stirrups. Why? Not just because it is No Stirrups November but  because when I ride with no stirrups I use my leg aids more effectively. No Stirrups. No pulling by me or Biasini.

You will also hear Belinda talking about my stomach! This means that she wants me to release my hips to move with  the horse’s movement.  My Florida coach Lou Denizard has been on my case about this last winter.

OK! I’m working on it. And I will get it better.

success_what_people_think_it_looks_like

Featured image of horse’s legs (C) Connie Gee

1. Avery says:

Everybody has their days! Horse and human. We all have to remember what success actually looks like. It is hard to do! I can’t wait to watch the video. I do not have headphones to listen right now. I love Belida’s commentary.

I think you will enjoy the audio. Belinda does not miss a beat!

2. Susan Towns says:

If it was easy everyone would do it….it is a journey with twists and turns, ups and downs……but a wonderful journey none the less

Absolutely! The very fact that we can take a step back and then move forward again makes life worth living I think. Thanks for commenting Susie.

3. I feel it is not easy to right a post like this, accepting the mistake after so much of practice. And that is the success for ourselves I believe. Thanks for this post it is not just about learning to ride a horse it truly tells much more than that.

Thank you Subbashini. Accepting the need to take a step back to basics is something that happens in many aspects of life. I feel that as I have grown older it is easier for me to accept this.

4. Hang in there, Anne!
    And you’re so right; success isn’t a straight line. It’s frustrating when problems keep raising their ugly heads, but we gotta just keep hitting them down and never give up. Maybe there’s a life lesson in there…

Yes that’s the way it goes with any endeavor in life I think. Thanks for this comment Gayle.

I LOVE the wiggly line to success!!! No stirrups!!! That’s super hard.

6. Irene says:

Great reminder about getting back to the fundamental basics of whatever you are working on. Whether it is music, photography, or horseback riding, the foundation must be there. Thanks, Anne. 😊

You are most welcome Irene. It is the same for so many endeavors.

7. cagedunn says:

I love the learning diagram! Speaks volumes, and loudly!

Yes. It says it with humor but it is real life for sure. Thanks for commenting.

8. Lovely video – I guess it’s that season for getting back to basics in stuff we normally ‘get’ but comes back to where we can’t move farther until we revisit those basics!
    I’m experiencing that ‘what it really looks like’ success pathway in my playing right now.
    Let’s both forge ahead, eh?

Thank you for this comment Laura. Riding and playing a musical instrument are both,in a way, performance arts. We both must keep on. No point in going back now!😀

Oh my, brings back memories of my lesson days. Such a struggle, I know and back then there was no videos to see so it was harder in some ways to understand. It’s always two steps forward and then back again! Stay strong, you do so well, I’m always impressed with your riding! ❤️ Diana 😀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )