A Small but Beautiful Moment….

This week the lens-artist photo challenge is “small is beautiful”.  My response to the challenge is my photo of Isabell Werth and her horse Bella Rose, taken at the end of her Grand Prix dressage test last week at the World Equestrian Games in Tryon NC.  At first it may appear that there is nothing small here. But there is. This is a small but beautiful moment for Isabel and her horse. This horse was injured four years ago and the injury proved very difficult to heal. But Isabel never gave up. When the mare finally recovered there was no guarantee that she would be able to compete at the Grand Prix level. But she did. This photo was taken seconds after Isabell and Bella Rose had finished their test and saluted to the judge. Isabell turned to the stadium and a thousand cheering spectators and she was overcome with emotion.  It was a small moment in time but huge in its importance for this horse and rider. They received the highest score in the class of 70 riders and secured the gold medal for the German team.  A small moment, but beautiful.sept13 (8 of 12)

1. Tina Schell says:

What a wonderful example Anne. Love the shot and love the idea. Perfect!

Thank you Tina. It was a serendipity to capture that moment in time with a long(600mm) lens.

2. Wow, what a beautiful moment!

Thank you. It was one of those lucky captures. Things happen very fast photographing horses and I had chosen a good spot at the side of the arena to see the horses and riders when they turned in front of the judge’s stand. Used a 250-600 lens and had it at the 600 for that shot and just managed to get that moment.

1. I can imagine that you really have to be mindful when you are shooting in these conditions. I suspect it helped that you have a lot of experience and could guess where a good opportunity might open up, but you are right sometimes luck is a huge factor.

It helps that I know the dressage tests, even the Grand Prix level which I have not ridden myself but I know the pattern. Also as a rider I know the tempo of the horse’s gaits which helps too. But as you say, luck is also a factor. Thanks for this comment PJB!

Touching, beautiful, great photo! ❤️

4. sscribner07 says:

This photo and the story behind it gives me happy chills. I feel emotional for her great accomplishment!

Happy chills! What a wonderful expression! Thank you for this comment I shall borrow that expression if I may!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )