Pinch that grape!

What does pinching grapes have to do with dressage? Let me explain. My coach Belinda Trussell wants me to half halt without using my hands. She told me to pinch a grape between my shoulder blades. That pinching of a little grape, a small movement but a powerful one, can produce a signal that is strong enough to bring Biasini back to me and bring up his shoulders. At the same time I must give with my hands. When I give it is saying to Biasini: “Carry your own head and neck” and immediately make sure his neck is soft and supple. Often he will want to tighten in his neck. That is when I must ask him for more activity in his hind end. I have to tap or push with my lower leg. If I do that he comes up and his neck softens. I like the phrase.”pinch that grape” It remimds me to sit up, keep checking every second. For those of you who are interested here is a video.

Biasini does not think much of the pinching grape. But after our lesson he was happy to relax in his stall and wait for dinner!

1. Alli Farkas says:

My trainer and yours are on the same page! No hands, tiny movements of the body, annoy that belly, bamboozle the horse into finding the contact!

Yup! Thanks Alli

Yes it is. I appreciate your comment Rupali.

2. David says:

The hard part, doing it all at the same time. 🐴🐎🐎🐴

3. Marsha says:

Poor Biasini. Nobody wants to be heckled least of all a nice horse like Biasini! This must be hard for you to do.

4. Diana says:

Hi Anne,
    I can’t view the video, it says it’s private. I thought I’d let you know! Your lesson sounded really good and with some fresh ideas coming from their lessons with Debbie. That’s so cool! ❤️🐴❤️

Hmm m…I had set it for a scheduled time to go public but I guess I made an error somewhere. Thanks for letting me know. It is public now if you want to look at it.

1. Diana says:

Yes, I can view it now. The indoor arena is beautiful and you and Biasini look so good! He’s such a handsome boy!