Straighten Up and Fly Right!

Last week my coach Belinda Trussell took a video of me riding down the long side in shoulder-in, turning onto the centerline to half pass left. When I watched he video I was shocked! For the first two or three strides of the half pass I was tipping over to the right. Whaaaat? We were doing half pass left. Why was I leaning to the right? I corrected it but honestly, what was I thinking? I am amazed that Biasini would even attempt the half pass to the left with me leaning like that .In the lateral movements the rider puts their weight on the side of the direction of movement. The horse moves underneath the rider to maintain balance.

This week we worked on some exercises that do not involve bending. The leg yield is one such exercise. The horse moves with his body straight. The rider’s job is to keep him moving sideways but with a straight body; no shoulders leading or quarters leading. Here is a short video of a trot leg yield.

So I managed to “Straighten up!” In our next lesson we worked on some canter transitions, forward to medium canter, back to collected canter. I had to keep Biasini’s frame constant, no dipping down, no loosing the hind end activity and quickness. Maintain that frame! Fly Right! Here is a video of ten strides forward and then ten strides back. When Belinda asks if I can give she is asking me to give both reins for a stride but keep my leg and seat on. This is the test to see if Biasini will maintain the frame without the rein contact. He did!

When we finished the lesson I felt that I had come in with a “straighten up and fly right ” attitude and it had helped. Biasini did so well and I was very proud of him . I would like to think he was proud of himself.

And the phrase “Straighten Up and Fly Right” comes from a 1940s song.

*Featured photo by Carmen Franco taken last winter at White Fences equestrian.*

1. (That comment got posted before I finish it) can understand your hardwork only when you explained. You always teach more.

2. Good to know Biasini understands you well. It looks simple as a spectator but can understand it needs

3. Amazing post
    Do you love HORSE RIDING ?

Biasini is clearly a genius, he knows what you want even if you are giving him conflicting signals!

Great post, Biasini does know what to do even if your off position a bit, smart guy!! You two are a great team! Lovely videos! ❤️🐴❤️🐴❤️

Thanks Diana I’m glad you liked the videos.

6. So much involved, but you make it look so easy.

Thank you Susie. I appreciate your comment 😀

7. Rupali says:

Interesting information.

8. Yes, a buzzard took a monkey for a ride.

Exactly and it was a smart monkey who would not be thrown off. I’ve been listening to the 40s channel on satellite radio to get a break from the news. Have a good weekend!

9. Man, for some reason we haven’t seen your posts lately, so glad saw this today!

Well I don’t post every day. Also inhave found that WordPress seems to drop blogs i follow from time to time. I went through a phase or reporting this to them but it still happens. Have a good weekend! And stay safe and well.

1. 100% I find wordpress drops people I am following, then all of a sudden I see something from them!

10. Auntysocial says:

*I am amazed that Biasini would even attempt the half pass to the left with me leaning like that*

I’m not. It proves what a good team you are and how well Biasini knows you 😀

Haha! Thanks for this comment. I appreciate thr humor!😄

1. Auntysocial says:

I’m absolutely serious! One of the biggest things I personally think says everything you need to know about horse and rider or dog and handler is that rare time one makes a mistake but other knows it’s a computer error and overrides it. Doesn’t happen often (or shouldn’t of course) but when it does it shows the real strength, partnership and teamwork going on.

Well thank you for your supportive comment. I love the idea of Biasini having to “translate” what I want him to do.💕