From Pony Club to Proud

A week ago I had a lesson with my coach Belinda Trussell where I was so dismal I wondered she didn’t want to just stop and go home. But she doesn’t give up on me. She presses on and at the end she said: “That was a tough lesson today. ” We both agreed that it was the end of the week and that Biasini was a bit tired. But that does not excuse me riding poorly. However, even in a lesson that is sub par, I learned something. Belinda reminded me of how to ride a corner. She reminded me of the exercises we all did in Pony Club as kids. We had to ride into the corner, right into the corner, so that we could get our horse or pony next to the letter that was nearest to the corner and reach over to touch it. Being reminded of that discipline had me riding well into those corners with a smile on my face.

This week we ended on a much more positive note. Belinda was helping me from the ground with the passage and transitions to collected trot. At the end of the lesson she said she was: “Very proud.” She did not mean that she was proud that I could execute a passage and would be launching on to do the Grand Prix. No. She meant that I was making corrections fast enough to keep Biasini going in his best frame and with his best responses. It sounds so simple doesn’t it? Quick responses. I have struggled to get that quickness for a long time, for years actually . Now, at last, it is coming together. Here is a short( 26 seconds) video of some trot work. You will hear Belinda say I have let Biasini get too open at the end of the half pass. But with a quick correction he is back in a good frame. If I am quick enough Biasini will respond with the right answer.

Here is another short(21 seconds) video of shoulder in on the long side of the arena. In the past I could get the shoulder in but could not change the activity or tempo. But here as soon as I ask for more Biasini responds.

So it was another ” Don’t give up” and ” Don’t be disheartened. Tomorrow can be better” week. And it was better. Much better. And guess what? Another week starts today!

1. Marsha says:

Interesting. It looks like horses walk sideways like dogs do. Maybe all four legged creatures do and I never noticed. I feel I am getting to know Biasini especially after our little chats over his challenge! πŸ™‚ Have a great weekend, Anne. πŸ™‚

You have a good weekend too Marsha!

2. David says:

Deborah, 3-4 years ago, was having a bad practice day. She was so frustrated, she took of her helmet and flung it. Then, she gave it a good kick. Trish rarely allowed her riders to vent like that, but she cut Deborah some slack that day. When she cooled down, I had Elizabeth give her sis a pep talk. When she remounted Comet, Deborah was able to ride the elements Trish had put into the practice exercise. It’s on those bad days when you learn the most.

πŸ™‚

Haha! Better to take it out on the helmet than the horse! I can understand that annoyance .I’m mad with myself and my inadequacies. I know the horse is only reacting to the information I have given him so 99% of the time it isn’t his fault.

1. David says:

Then, there were the days, Trish would tell the girls, “Do it again.” Those were the hardest days, especially when Elizabeth didn’t get the lesson. She and Deborah were still new beginners, and the lesson was about posture on the saddle. Trish had them off saddle, doing “stand straight, walk tall” walking exercises. After doing a few rounds walking the practice ring, then it was remount the ponies and do the same exercise but on horseback. It took Deborah awhile but she got it on the final try of the day. Elizabeth didn’t. When Trish kept saying, “do it again,” Elizabeth was becoming more frustrated and upset. Seeing she was close to tears, Trish said they did enough work for the day. Trish talked with Elizabeth on the side. The flood of tears came on the ride home, saying she didn’t want to ride anymore. That said, Elizabeth was ready for the next lesson with Deborah two days later. She got the posture exercise a week later. Trish told Elizabeth she did well, and both had the biggest smiles.

Only those who do not ride think that it is easy!

You should be proud, it’s definitely hard work, and we all have good days and not so good days. ❀️ Thank you for sharing, so fun to see you and Biasini in action. He’s a beautiful mover!! πŸ˜€

He is a very talented fellow and if I am quick enough we can accomplish lovely gaits. Thanks Diana.

4. It looks awesome, I felt like I have to ride a horse (surely a joke ☺️☺️). You taught always a change quick change has to come from us. Yes always tomorrow is a new start.

Thank you Subbashini. We had a lesson today and it was hard work but it went well. I am so lucky to have Biasini and a coach like Belinda who pushes me to do better.

5. Donna Zabukovec says:

I so needed to hear this today after my lesson yesterday. Thank you

You are most welcome. This riding thing is not easy. I’m glad my story could give you some support.

Perhaps you were tired? We never stay still, if we are not going foward we are going back, so keep striving!

I may have been tired. Also Belinda raises the bar once we have achieved something. I know this and need to remember it when I have a sub par day that we are moving up and we will get it in time.Thanks for the encouraging comment Emma.

Belinda’s a tough (but good) teacher!

She is! Her attention to detail is what makes the difference. I can see that when she rides and I know that is what I must pay attention to. Thanks for the encouragement Emma!

7. We all need encouragement during these times. Thank you.

You are most welcome.πŸ™‚

8. I greatly admire people with stick-to-itiveness! πŸ‘!

9. Never give up! Tomorrow can always be better πŸ˜‰ 🐴 Have a wonderful week both of you!

Thank you Ribana! Best wishes for a wonderful week to you too.