Negative Space

When I saw that Amy has given us Negative Space as this week’s Lens Artists challenge I had to smile. I thought perhaps this could be a new phrase for the 6 foot distance we must keep away from other people due to Covid spread! But no, it is a reference to photographic space. Amy explains.

Negative space is the area around the main subject of your photograph. This space is empty or unoccupied. Spencer Cox at Photography Life explains,”Photos with high amounts of negative space are: empty, subdued, peaceful, calm, and isolated”.

I have had to search through my archives to find anything suitable as I do not think about negative space when photographing horses. So here are my takes on it.

Gardens of Arundel Castle ,England
Ironing a table cloth in an English stately home. Leeds Castle
Kew Gardens
Angkor Wat
River transport Cambodia
And at last a horse photo.
I have used this photo before in other blog posts but it is one of my favorites.

1. I really like the Angor Wat photo, but these are all nice takes on the negative space theme.

2. You choose the perfect photos to showcase the negative space, or rather what we see when there is a negative space. Great photos for the challenge! They are all good in different ways.

Thank you so much !

1. Thank you for sharing them.

3. Laleh Chini says:

Beautiful photos Anne.❤️

Ankgor Wat is my favourite too. I puzzled over the first one for quite a while before my brain worked what it was! Quite intriguing.

It is curious why they would have cut a hole in a big hedge like that but it gave a view to a different part of the garden that was interesting. We were given a tour by the head gardener but I didn’t ask about it as the group has gone to another area and I thought I would be left behind.

5. JohnRH says:

Nice selections. The Gardens of Arundel and black horse against blue are favorites.

Thank you John. I also love the black horse .

6. Leaving the first one, others are so unique for negative space. I like the second picture the most. I feel it is so impressive

Thank you for commenting Subbashini. By the second one do you mean the woman ironing the table cloth? I love that one. It was just a random chance to see her working as I walked by that room and I could not resist taking a photo . Where in the world would a person have to iron a table cloth?

7. Lignum Draco says:

Lovely selection of photos. The one of Angkor Was is so emotive, more-so because I’ve been there.

It is an extraordinary place. We had time there to just wander about so I walked through many hallways of the main temple and took several photos. It was not crowded or overrun with tourists.

8. Erin says:

Beautiful photos. 😀

9. Jeff Rab says:

Nice negative space pictures!! I’ve learned something new today!!

I’m not sure how is has applications in real life but it was interesting for me to look for some photos that met the requirements.

10. Rupali says:

Each image is wonderful and special in it’s own way.

Thank you Rupali . I appreciate your kind comment.

11. We live 8 miles from Leeds castle.

Was that where you lived in England?

1. Yes, I was born there, and lived in the same town for 40 years. Spent many a happy day at Leeds castle.

Well it is a very nice place!

12. Alli Farkas says:

The Kew Gardens photo is an excellent example of negative space.

13. Beautiful images Anne, yor photograph of Angkor Wat is my favourite too 💜

Angkor Wat is such a special place. We had enough time there to just walk about in the temples and that is when I took that photo.

14. Negative space but beautiful photos, especially the last one 😉 🐎

15. Amy says:

Love this negative space series! Great selections, Anne. Angkor Wat Is my favorite. 🙂

Thank you Amy and thank you for this very interesting challenge. It was quite challenging for me but I really enjoyed it.

16. Tina Schell says:

Anne, I absolutely love your image of Angkor Wat – you’ve captured the light so beautifully. It is one of my favorite places ever and you’ve given me a very fond memory with that image! I also love your closing horse shot and understand why it would be a favorite. finally, I loved your opening comment about negative space and the pandemic. Very clever!

Thank you Tina. I waited 30 years to go to Cambodia. There was so much unrest there it did not seem safe but 10 years ago we went on a river boat trip to Vietnam and Cambodia and it was wonderful .

17. Well, here’s a positive comment about your negative space album: these are some fine photos, Anne.

Thank you very much for your positive comment. Much appreciate!