Invest in Training!

“Invest in training.”  This is the advice of Carl Hester arguably the world’s top trainer and coach as he coached all four members of the British Olympic Dressage team for Rio!

I am very fortunate to have two very good coaches. At home in Canada I train with Belinda Trussell and during the winter season in Florida with Lou Denizard. Belinda has me working on improving Biasini’s frame and lightness.   Here is a video of part of my lesson last week. We do a 10 meter circle and then travers (haunches in) and another circle maintaining the lightness, the lift, the tempo, the cadence , the forward movement…..the flow. But what happens at the end…….?

It may not be noticeable that Biasini takes over in the half pass going away from Belinda but she has x-ray vision and can tell exactly what is going on.  And she  was right! He had taken over and was heavy in my hands and the flow went out the window!

Belinda was away at a show at the end  of the week so I had my husband come to video my work on my own.  Here is a video of the same exercise I did in my lesson. But on my own I was really struggling coming down the  long side to maintain an even rhythm and to keep him up and light.  We turn on the centerline and in my mind I am getting ready for  that half pass. We are going to get it this time! And we do! He was light and responsive.

When I had my first lesson with Belinda this week I told her of my difficulties with the exercise. We started to work on it again. Take a look and see how it went.

It is clear to me that working with Belinda had helped me to do this exercise much better. That is what “investing in training” is all about.

*Featured photo (C) Connie Gee.*

1. Rishi Mishra says:

This is amazing lesson. But I need a good trainer for that.

A good trainer is an important part of the process. Thanks for commenting!

2. Miss A says:

Keep training and learning is motto for me in life whatever it means…for work or hobby or being a parent .. curiosity and development keeps me going.

That’s a great motto! I especially like that you also apply it to parenting. When my son was about 2 I took a parenting course because I decided I had to parent my kids better than my mother had parented me. It was great! I learned a lot about how to deflect problems and encourage kids to take responsibility for their choices. So thanks for this comment it is a very positive one!

1. Miss A says:

Oh wow, good on you for taking that course. I’m sure you were a natural fantastic and loving mum!

Thank you. You are too kind. Both my kids have grown up and are now independent adults and my daughter is a mother herself!

1. Miss A says:

My one year old is starting to have some mini tantrums but I guess that’s nothing compared to when they are teenagers…

The teenager phase is in some ways the most challenging because they can get into real problems if they make poor choices but you have to let them develop into adults and make some poor choices so they can learn something. Besides teenagers won’t listen to fuddy duddy old adults anyway.

3. Avery says:

flow flow flow in your mind!!! ❤ One of the best investments!

Well Belinda has raised the bar! And Iove the idea that we can just flow up to and stand on that new height. It is a lot of physical work but certainly worth it. Thanks Avery!

1. Avery says:

❤ love Belinda!

4. Yay for these uploads! I keep hearing her voice, flow, flow, flow, flow!
    In my lesson today I got to watch Valiosa under saddle with someone else for the first time in over a year. Very inspiring!

We need inspiration! I find that I also need to be pushed and that is just what Belinda does. Thanks for commenting Elinor!

1. I think you’ve got a wonderful trainer in her. Love how she pushes without being frightening or overbearing. The three of you make a great team. Have a wonderful trip!!

Thank you Elinor! When you get to my age and stage it is a real blessing to have a coach who will put as much into my lessons as she does into the 30 Somethings! Good luck for your show this weekend.

1. That’s wonderful, and slightly bitter at the same time. I often feel sort of on “the outskirts”, with my unpapered, cross bred, self trained, horse with no possibility to be in a full time (haha, or even part time) training program ever, meaning I’m not as profitable for a trainer. Still, maybe it makes us tougher 🙂 And I think you’re wonderful to where any coach would love to work with you!
            On that note, an interesting development has lead to me being able to do quite a lot of training in the month of June! I haven’t really written about it on the blog. Have to see how things evolve…

I think you show great tenacity to carry on without an ongoing training program. I have been there myself some years back with another horse. It is not easy. I’m glad June may give you some opportunities for training and that can carry you through for some time. I hope you will put up some posts about it.

5. You and Biasini are both great examples of what it means to be ‘life time learners’.
    Carry on you two!

Thank you Laura! I appreciate your comment and your taking the time to leave it for me. 🙂

6. Lessons are my favorite thing. I’m more relaxed because I figure my trainer has my back and I don’t have to second guess everything.

that’s a good way to look at it! I think My trainer pushes me more than I would push myself so that is a good thing!

7. I’ve only recently started having lessons again and it is amazing how much progress we are suddenly making!

Great! I happy to hear that.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )