Championships and Beautiful Horses!

The Ontario and Eastern Canadian Dressage Championships are taking place this weekend. If you have read some of my recent blogposts you will know that due to a medical “episode” I will not be riding in them myself. But here was a priceless opportunity to take my camera and snap the other members of Team Trussell.  We all ride with coach Belinda Trussell at Oakcrest Farm. I took these photos on the first day of three days of the Championships Friday Sept. 1.

My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T5i    For the  photos of Lynsey Rowan on Beaujolais and also Feng de Lys I used a Canon lens 55-250 and for Nicole Ashley and Megan Shea I used my Sigma 150-600. All photos taken with shutter priority (TV 1/400),focus AI SERVO, Spot metering, ISO auto.

I was not able to take photos of Lynsey during her test riding as I was assigned to do video of the rides so it could be shown to the horse’s owners. Lynsey is a professional rider and is riding and training these two young horses for their owners.   For Nicole and Megan I used the longer lens and took photos both in the warm up and in the test arena.

Here is Lynsey on Beaujolais.  All the photos have been edited in Lightroom but the color of this horse is as it appears in real life. He is a stunning liver chestnut.

2017 Champs-0721

Lynsey’s second ride was on Feng de Lys. The first photo is of a wonderful uphill canter and the second Lynsey is giving him a pat just before they will go into the ring.

2017 Champs-0751

2017 Champs-0761

The first rider of Team Trussell to ride in the afternoon was Nicole Ashley. I had some fun with a couple of photos of her horse Serrano and in the first one I tweaked the highlights to take out the background and then boosted the shadow, clarity and vibrance.

2017 Champs-0785

In this second photo of Serrano I liked it in the  black and white option  so just added contrast.

2017 Champs-0803

The last rider for the day was Megan and her horse K2 who rode an advanced level test the Intermediare A.  This test includes movements that will be further developed in the highest level, the  Grand Prix. Here is a lovely half pass.

2017 Champs-0882

This photo of Megan and K2 takes a different angle.

2017 Champs-0899

To finish this post here is Nicole and Serrano’s halt and salute to the judge at the end of their test. The halt comes at the beginning and the end of each dressage test. The  horse must hit a specific point in the center of the dressage ring and all four feet must be “square”.  This harder to achieve than you might think.  Here Nicole has achieved the  ideal square halt.

2017 Champs-0822

absolutely beautiful photos. That half pass photo is awesome. I absolutely love dressage, a difficult discipline to do well but so amazing to watch and photograph. Kindly, Diana

Thank you and I agree about that half pass the MEgan and K2 did it beautifully. Thanks for your comment.

2. I love the b/w photo of Serrano especially! I use a Nikon but respect the Canon. 🙂

Glad you liked them. I have been using Canon since the days of film. My son has a Nikon and it is a great camera. Thanks for commenting!

3. I love your pictures. That Half Pass is amazing. !! Look at that hind leg, far out….. I’m glad to hear you are feeling better. You will be at the championships next year for sure.
    Mel x

Thank you and yes it is a classic half pass, and I appreciate your support about the Champs next year.

4. horsewisdom8 says:

Great pictures! I really need to get organised and get out more with my camera!

It is fun and also a steep learning curve. Thanks for your comment.

5. (HorseLover4Ever) Elizabeth says:

Beautiful pictures!!! ❤

Thank you Elizabeth, I’m so glad you liked them. Horses are so beautiful it is such a pleasure to photograph them.

6. Such beautiful photos!

Well done to your team and to yourself even if you didn’t get to ride, I am sure they appreciated you being there.

I miss taking photos but my camera was stolen a few years ago when people broke into my house – c’est la vie!

That is sad about the robbery! But thanks for your comment and i’m glad you liked the photos!

7. Thank you so much for sharing! I love seeing the pictures!

I’m glad you enjoyed these photos. Thank you.

1. I just talked to my granddaughter’s tonight and my youngest one who will be seven soon has decided that she wants to do to Steeplechase. Pretty cool, huh!

That’s fabulous! Nerve-wracking for her parents but such a cool thing to do when you are young and the skills learned will carry over to any other riding discipline when she is older.

8. nathaswami says:

The skin of the horse shines like silk !

Yes! Their coats are beautiful in the summer. Soon their winter coats will grow in.

9. one word

Gorgeous!😍

10. Though you weren’t able to participate this year you were there in spirit Anne.

Yes! Thanks for this nice comment.

11. Sue Matthews says:

Beautiful pictures Leueen!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )