How to Re-write old muscle memories!

ACTIVATE! This was the key for a lesson of canter work. I think that Activate may be my coach Belinda Trussell’s favorite word! What does it mean? It does not mean to go faster or bigger. It means stay in the collected canter and create more jump, more activity in the hind end. Not so easy to do this! But in this lesson I began to get a grip on how to achieve it. We did quite a bit of work on 10 meter circles. I was able to keep the activity and also keep him up and light in my hand.

It was a great feeling.

But when Belinda asked me to do a half pass I defaulted to old muscle memories. I tightened up: arms, wrists, fingers all tight and clamping. Then Biasini also clamps and pulls down. As I turned into the half pass I clamped. Then I thought ….WAIT! What am I doing? Just ride it like the circle. I unclamped! Biasini responded.

It felt wonderful! Here is a video. Belinda , whose eyes are as sharp as a hawks’ could see the moment I let go and rode the half pass.

Just in case you think I had nailed it and never looked back this week we had a lesson and Biasini and I could not get on the same page. Biasini just was not in the mood for being up and light in the canter work. I knew how it should feel and I did not want to fall back on my old muscle memories but I could not seem to get the result I wanted. Tough lesson. I shall tell you more about that next time.

• Featured photo (C) Connie Gee*

Well done! It’s great when something clicks!

So beautiful you two!! I sometimes have rides that just aren’t that fun and then go back out and have a great day! Horses are so magical!! Love reading that comment! 🐴❤️

Horses always keep us on our toes. We can never take anything for granted and just like us they have good days and not so good days. 😄🐴

3. Sorry I haven’t been commenting

No need to. I know you have a plateful at the moment

4. Amy says:

Magical! The communication between you and Biasini is amazing!

Thank you Amy I appreciate that comment.

5. David says:

The daughters watched. Like Coach Belinda, they saw your correction. They added it is easy to fall back into old, bad habits, especially coming off a layoff.

I also should add that when you are older and I am older it is harder to overwrite the files and put in something new. Your daughters can learn new muscle memories faster than me. But I can still do it. I’m glad they watched and could spot the correction. Thanks for this comment David.

6. It sounds magical to be on a horse and do what you do. That photo is beautiful too. We have stables as neighbors and I love to hear them.

Thank you so much for this comment. I think it is magical. It certainly is what keeps me going!

7. You are both looking fabulous.

Thank you!😃