The Covid Silver Lining!

Last week, when I posted photos of my coach Belinda Trussell riding Biasini, one person commented that this was my silver lining. Yes! It is! Due to the Covid lockdown I may not be able to ride but having a rider of Belinda’s caliber ride my horse is a silver lining indeed. This week I got another chance to see Biasini and Belinda at work in the outdoor arena. Belinda started him in a stretching , but not too low stretching trot.

Belinda then picked him up for the canter work.

She went on to work on the canter half passes and zig zags. If you follow this blog you will know the zig zags are a challenge for me. The zig zag is a canter half pass (horse bends and moves sideways in canter), straighten, flying change and half pass in the opposite direction. Here is a photo of the left canter half pass.

The Zig Zag Problem and the Solution.

Belinda took a break and came over to let me know what she was finding with the zig zag. She told me that going to the left he was fine, quite soft and supple, but when she started to set him up for the flying change, to the right, he would be tight. He could do the change but, for the half pass right, he would be tight and would start to pull down and take over. Ah! Yes! I know that well. But I don’t discover I’m in trouble until I am in the half pass. Too late! Belinda explained that it was imperative to get the bend to the right before asking for the flying change. Then he would give her a good change and good half pass right. How did she solve this problem? She told me to take a renvers position before asking for the flying change. Oh! Renvers! I struggle mentally with Renvers. It’s a sort of left-right dyslexia with me. So I walked through it in my mind.

• I’m on the left lead.
  • Straighten.
  • Ask for a renvers position. I am still on the left lead but asking for a bend to the right. And asking for him to be soft in his poll, his neck, his body!
  • Once I have all that ask for the change.
  • Nice change !
  • Half pass right.

Easy peasey! This is why it is amazing to see a professional like Belinda ride my horse. He looks fabulous and she looks like she is just out for a nice ride in the park.

Belinda also did some tempi changes. Twos! Fabulous! Threes! Fabulous. I was so impressed I did not manage to take photos. I was just watching!

Before finishing Belinda went on to some trot work. She asked for the trot, then brought him back to the walk. asked him to be soft in the poll, trot, walk, trot, walk until the transitions were seamless and he was up and light.

To finish Belinda did Biasini’s favorite thing: the stretchy trot.

Watching this ride was a Covid Silver Lining! I learned a lot! I am inspired for when I get back to riding.

STOP PRESS! The provincial government has allowed riding facilities to re-open as long as they can maintain physical distancing and restrict numbers of people. I will update how Belinda and the staff will be arranging for that. Now for me the challenge is to get back riding and maintain all the good training Belinda has given Biasini.

1. markbierman says:

Great to hear that you can ride again!

Yes! And my husband woud agree with you as I am in a much better mood when I can get out and ride.

2. Avery says:

How wonderful! ❤

3. kunstkitchen says:

Hurrah! Yay! Wahoo! You must feel good again. I look forward to your updates of riding.

Thank you! I start today.

4. Happy about this I think we people of the world learned how to be friendly or tolerate this temporary enemy. We are still in lockdown but used to it 🙂. Waiting to see Biasini and you together and yes really waiting to speak with Biasini.

5. MAP195 says:

wonderful article

That’s exciting news!

7. David says:

Your Biasini rides so well for your coach, now it’s your turn. You’ll be very happy being back on the saddle, I’m sure. 🙂

I most certainly will. Thank you David.

8. That’s wonderful news Anne and please give Biasini a big pat from us all 🥕🥕🥕

I will. He is in great shape and I have done a lot o stay fit but there are riding muscles that will have to come back into action . I shall take it slowly.😃

Silver lining indeed!! You and Biasini have the best trainer and I think it’s wonderful as she will see what you are having to do with his little issues you’re having to correct. Does she ride him from time to time to tune him up? That’s what we call it here, when a trainer rides a client’s horse, every once in awhile. You are a great rider though, and make a good team with him. I got to the point where the trainer I worked for wasn’t tuning mine. Lol 😀

I know you have your work cut out for you getting back in shape! I know you can do this and how EXCITING!! Cowgirl up, she’s riding again! ❤️🐴❤️🐴❤️

Thanks for commenting Diana.Belinda hardly ever gets on Biasini. She will ride him if I am away but the only other time she gets on is if I am having a real problem with something and I do not seem to be able to fix it. She will be giving me instruction on what to do. But if I am getting nowhere then she will ask if I would like her to get on. This past winter when I was training in Florida with Lou Denizard someone asked him why he didn’t ride Biasini. He told them he didn’t need to.But when I had an issue at the last show he offered to ride him in the show ring. That was just what was needed as the issue was not happening at home only in the show ring. So he rode Biasini and reminded him that he had to do what he was told at home and also showing. Next day I rode him in the test and he was much more respectful.🤣

YES! That’s perfect that they will get on when needed and I remember that well with Lou and the show. Horses are sooo smart! Isn’t it amazing how they can figure out how to get away with being a little naughty for whatever reason, but I love that you are with exceptional trainers that can tune them up which makes it easier for you!! Love your blog and posts so MUCH! ❤️😍🥰

It makes me happy to hear that Diana. I know you have a background in the hunter jumpers and know about competition so I know you understand the tricky side of it all. Have a great weekend. We have some sunshine and warmer temps here. Yay!

EXCITING news!!! YAY! Back in the saddle again and yes, it will be some work but so worth it! I’m just elated for you and I can’t wait to hear how your rides are next week! ❤️🐴

11. etikser says:

Oh, that’s good news for you. It seems like they could make this work safely. How do you think your horse will respond to seeing you again?

I hope he will be happy. He may realize that being ridden by me is less taxing than being ridden by my coach who always expects the highest level from him.

I’m so excited for you and Biasini. Great news. Love all these beautiful shots!

Thank you Sandy. I’m excited too!

Yes it is . Thanks!

13. Irene says:

Beautiful pics! Stay safe as you start riding again!

Thank you .I will stay safe. My horse understands that there is no need for me to be a hero!

14. I am excited for you! Looking forward to hearing about how your first rides go post-lockdown. Enjoy!

Well I have not been on a horse for 2 months and at my age and stage I will have to ease back into it. We have been assigned times to come to ride as there can only be 5 people at the barn at a time. I have times for Monday to Thursday. then on Friday I have a lesson! I am looking forward to that.

1. I have a similar experience every Winter if I am not able to afford regular lessons. I do not have an indoor arena at home and find the Winter weather too harsh to ride so my horses usually have a good four-five months off every year. If I can’t take lessons during that time, it is terribly frustrating and depressing for me. And then starting alone again with my horses in the Spring is made more difficult. We all do so much better if I have been riding with some regularity in lessons over the Winter. So long story short, I hear you. I wish you nothing but positive experiences as you ease back into it and all the special joy that comes with spending time with our horses!

Thank you. Your time off in the winter must be hard. And yes, we all do better if we can ride and be with our horses!

15. That’s fantastic news. I know how happy you are.

We heard as of Monday gyms back to 50%.

Yes I saw your post about the Governors speech. That is great your husband will be happy and you will be back to being a “gym rat”🤣