Squirrels on Sunday

We have an eat-in kitchen that has large windows facing east. Outside we have a bird feeder and enjoy watching the birds that come and go.

They drop quite a bit of seed onto the grass and the pathway below the feeder and doves, who are too big for the feeder, and squirrels pick up the dropped seeds.

We have one squirrel that has caught our attention this year. We call him White Ears. The backs of his ears are almost white. We have other grey squirrels but none have these ears.

He is a very handsome fellow. Well truth be told we don’t know if he is a he or a she! If anyone knows how we might be able to tell then please comment below.

Sometimes he or she looks quite plump and we wondered if she might be expecting babies! Be then she can run off at high speed if one of the black squirrels chases her. And she has a long run down to the road before she stops. and darts up a tree.

Sometimes she runs away from an aggressive black squirrel but other times she stands her ground and chases them off. She comes to the bottom of the feeder several times a day to get the dropped seeds. The pole supporting the feeder is metal so the squirrels cannot scale it and eat all the birdseed!

We have grown quite fond of White Ears. She keeps an eye out for hawks and the aggressive black squirrels. Survival is always on her mind. One thing for certain is that she is not worried in the least about Covid 19 and the lockdown! As long as the humans in the house keep the bird feeder topped up with seed life it good.

1. markbierman says:

A well-fed squirrel, for sure!

Yes and having taken a look at her through the binoculars I can see she is a female and has had babies. So now we are watching for her every day! Thanks for your comment.

2. Cute little fellow! They are not around near me although there are trees and acorns. I think there are too many humans around.

3. Very lovely read and pleasent place. I believe it is difficult to take photo of a squirrel as they move very quickly, happy to see a squirrel in from different views.

When they come to the bird feeder I use my longer lens 55-250mm and take photos through our kitchen window. I’m glad you liked seeing White Ears. Stay well Subbashini!⚘

1. You too stay well maa, kindly add few peppers in your daily food (you might be knowing but I simply told as it helps to fight against cold πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™‚)

4. So so cute White Ears 🐿
    You said it right, as long as people stay inside squirrels and animals are happy πŸ˜ƒ

We have decided she is a female. We got a closer look at her this morning and we can see some little teats. Thanks for commenting Ribana.πŸ˜ƒ

1. Probably she has sweet little squirrels πŸΏπŸ˜‰

I think so we are trying to see where she goes when she leaves.

5. One of the squirrels here has never ceased to try getting to the main bird-feeder, and it’s impossible to not cheer for his attempts, always unsuccessful but he’s not a quitter. You got some nice shots, the white tufts on the ears are very stylish!

The white ears are unique. She really stands out from all the other grey squirrels.

6. Fantastic pics, Anne πŸ‘ It can be difficult to tell gender sometimes; it’s easiest when a female has kittens & is feeding them, you can often see the teats, particularly when they stand up right (2 rows of 3). Looking at your pics, I think White Ears is a female; in the shot of her from the side, it looks like a teat just below her elbow.

Thanks Jez. This morning we have snow here. Unbelievable for May 11. We have been having record breaking cold temps. I’m glad the birds and squirrels can get something to eat at our feeder.

1. Hope the snow ends soon, and spring can get properly established, although it’s nearly summer πŸ˜ƒ

It has warmed up quite a bit and now we have rain which is OK. White Ears has had babies I am fairly certain . When she was sitting up eating a nut I could see her teats and they had the hair around them pushed back . So I think little ones have been suckling. My eyesight is not that acute I was watching her through binoculars from the kitchen window.

1. Awesome πŸ˜ƒ

7. so beautiful photos!
    I’m passionate about Photography.

8. Nothing goes to waste. The birds drop the excess seeds, and the squirrels enjoy the left overs. This is team work, and a reminder of how we all should live, ie. helping each other.

Yes! I often see the blackbirds scattering seeds as they wiffle through the seeds in the feeder. This works out well for the doves on the ground and the squirrels. If only we could work like this . Nice comment Gavin and Wyatt!

1. And thank you for the opportunity to comment.

And Happy Mother’s day! Not sure if Canada celebrates on this day, so from me to you USA style – Happy Mother’s day! ❀️

Yes we do .Thank you and Happy Mother’s Day to you too Diana.πŸŒΉπŸŒ·πŸ’•

So ADORABLE!! And it’s so pretty there! ❀️

It may be greener than where you are but yesterday and today we have had cold. Below normal cold. Record breaking cold and…..snowing. Doesn’t stay on the ground for too long but SNOWπŸ₯Ά

Oh know! That’s such a long stretch of cold. Brrr, I hope it starts to REALLY warm up for you soon! ❀️🌞🀠

11. A determined squirrel, she is. 😊

12. My bird feeder has always provided me much entertainment, but I am finding absolutely essential during this current time we are in.

Yes the feeder does provide a lot of entertainment. Our little dog gets up onto a small sofa and looks out the window and watches the squirrels and wants to get out and chase them!