I Pick London!

“Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.”

Dr. Samuel Johnson

London is my favorite city in the world. I visited it often when I was a child and I moved there in my early 20s and remained until my mid 30s. I love the pageantry, the history, and all the nooks and crannies of the city that hide gems filled with all sorts of intriguing things.

Mounted band of Her Majesty’s Household Cavalry
Horse statue jumping the London Eye
On a Saturday morning in East London you can see a character like this who is quite at ease with himself.
The view of St. Pauls from the Tate Modern
The local pub is the place to meet friends and have a pub meal.
The red call box…still iconic even in the era of mobile phones.
The Algerian in Soho…this is my favorite place to buy the best loose tea from the Darjeeling Tea Estates!

Luckily for me our son now lives in London and that gives us the excuse to visit twice a year. I am in complete agreement with Dr. Johnson. If you are tired of London you are tired of life.

This is my response to Tina’s challenge “Pic a Place”.

1. Amy says:

Great choice! Beautiful photos of this great city. So much to see there. πŸ™‚

Thank you. It was an easy choice for me. I appreciate your comment!

2. I’ve only made a couple short visits to London, but it was the absolute coolest place on earth when I was a teenager, in the 90’s. Me and all my friends were listening to britt pop (Suede, blur etc.) and dreaming about moving to London πŸ™‚

Well I listened to the Beatles in my day and i did move there when I finished university. I loved it. I came back to Canada to do one job, met a guy and the rest ,as they say, is history.

1. That’s a sweet story!

3. That London Eye photo is so well-spotted.

It was a serendipity!!

1. I love it when that just happens πŸ™‚

4. Wonderful choice! Love London too πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ‘

London is great to visit but I absolutely hated living there, it took too long to get anywhere, it was expensive and polluted! I regard leaving the places as one of my greatest achievements. So stuff Samuel Johnson! lol!!!

Well Dr. Johnson was a person of strong opinions. He also said he had ” no passion for clean linen”.. one can only imagine what that led to!!

6. Nice pics…

Really a great pictures you have.

Visit my blogs too on

7. O.D. says:

Great post! I wish to visit London in the future at some point. The place looks great and is full of history and culture I’m keen to learn about πŸ™‚

It is a fascinating place. I hope you will get there sometime.

1. O.D. says:

Me too πŸ™‚

8. JohnRH says:

Great, great city. I have many memories from there. Neither the Gerken (sp?) or the Eye were there in the early 90s.

You are right the Gerkin and the Eye are new as is the Mayors Testicle ( a ball shaped building on he South Bank that is a town hall for London) and the Mobile which looks like an old school mobile phone. And, last but not least , the Shard. They are all interesting.

9. You are so fortunate. I went back to England 25 times, but haven’t been able to leave Len these past 8 years.

That is hard Susie.I sympathize.

1. It depresses me, and hubby doesn’t even realize that I am doing it for him.

10. You’re welcome, Anne.

11. London is still on my list. I wish I could visit it soon. Thanks for showing us around, Anne. At least now I could travel through your blog.

And I travel through yours! Thank you for this comment.

12. Judy says:

I want to go back someday.

You should go. Although there are new buildings especially in the East of London the essence of London remains the same.

I want to visit London one day. That’s so awesome your son is there so you can visit there often!! Beautiful photos! β™₯️β™₯️β™₯️

Thank you Diana. You should put London on your bucket list it is a wonderful city.

I will, DEFINITELY! My daughter LOVES to travel, it’s her passion so I’ll ask her to plan a trip for us as she wants to see London too! It’s on my bucket list! πŸ˜€

14. Tina Schell says:

Excellent choice Anne, and beautiful images! So very British 😊. How great that your son is there!!

Yes it is. Gives us such a great excuse to visit.Thanks for commenting.