The Right Horse at the Right Time!

The right horse at the right time.  I have heard professional riders talk about getting a horse that was “one horse too soon”. What do they mean by that? I asked one and he said that he got the ride on a very talented horse but he did not feel he had enough experience, at that time, to do the horse justice. I have known a few amateur riders who have got a horse that is more horse than they are able to ride confidently. This will usually result in a loss of confidence as the horse will be too much for them.

The  right horse at the right time means the  rider is confidently able to ride the horse and a good relationship can develop.  I have been very fortunate to have a few “right” horses at the right  time. Here is the first one. His name was Amos and he was the first horse I rode. I was eight years old and spent six weeks on a ranch in Wyoming.  Amos knew he had a little one up and looked after me very well, as we rode out with the wrangler onto the hills.  I thought Amos was the best horse that ever existed and my love of horses began with him.

img_20161227_1413502

When I was eleven I began to ride in earnest. First my parents leased a horse for me and when it was clear that I was serious about  riding they bought me my first horse. His name was Willy. He was a Mustang. He may have been badly treated before I got him as he was very nervous at first but soon learned to trust me. I learned to jump and we went to lots of horse shows. I also spent  time with him in California and we did eventing. He could gallop and jump for the cross country and jumping phases but neither of us took the dressage phase seriously. Willy taught me how to ride.

Uxbridge-20130904-00298

There was a big gap of 30 years in my riding life when I did not ride at all. I was busy with a career and lived in the city and could not afford to have a horse. Then when my daughter started to ride I joined her and I have never looked back.  I rode a few horses and then was lucky enough to get another “right” horse. His name was Tommie.

1-charlotte 173

Tommie was seven years old when I got him. He had walk, trot, canter and a single flying change. I bought him in the Netherlands and when I tried him I took him down the road to make sure he would be good to take hacking. We passed a pen with about seven Rottweiler dogs who all rushed the fence barking. Tommie did not even bat an eye.

Tommie and I went from USDF (US Dressage Federation) First level up to the  Prix St. George, both of us learning as went. Lots of people would say Tommie was “cute”. That used to rather annoy me as I felt he was much more than just cute. But  he was small and not the huge 17 hand big mover that people said were “gorgeous”.

I had Tommie for six years. Sadly he became ill and I had to have him euthanized. It broke my heart. But what a great ride we’d had together. He was the  right horse at the right time for me. He gave me confidence and we learned together.Here is a photo of Tommie and me doing our first Prix St. George test in 2013. It was a first for both of us.

LWilloughby.PersonalWebFileL.13GN45727.CopyrightSusanJStickle.com-(ZF-2610-32199-1-001).jpg

For all of you who follow this blog you will know I now have Biasini. Biasini is the most talented  and best trained horse I have ever owned. But he is also the most opinionated, spirited and strong horse I have ever owned. If I had not had Tommie, little “cute” Tommie ,before Biasini I would not be able to ride Biasini.  I had the right  horse at the right time in Tommie and that is why I was ready to have the right horse for me now……Biasini.

WBWFIII022418-6771

Thanks for the reblog!🙂

1. SJHcreates says:

Beautiful! I completely agree with you. Every horse will change you one way or another my last lesson horse before I had to stop riding had to be put down and it was tough, but she taught me so much and I cherish every ride, every grooming session, and every walk we had together ❤

I’m sorry to know you had to lose your horse partner. It is hard. I know I have said goodbye to a few over the years. Horses are such a gift and have a lot to give us. Thanks so much for your comment.

2. Avery says:

love, love, love this!

I’m sure you noticed I started out in a Western saddle in Wyoming! Glad you enjoyed the post.

3. newlifenewadventure83 says:

What a beautiful story. So happy to see you have some amazing companions! I too took a long break and we are in the process of bringing two home. I am really hoping they are both “the right horses at the right time!” Thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoyed your story!

Glad you enjoyed the post. All the best with the two new horses.

4. This is a lovely post. I do love that first photo!

It is amazing how clearly I can remember that ranch. What happened yesterday may not be so clear but 60 years ago in Wyoming….I remember it well.

5. This is so true!
    You’ve had a bit of good luck finding your equine partners just at the right time and done a great job with them all 🤗

I have ridden a number of other horses but the ones I spoke about in the post were so pivotal and important in my journey as a rider. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Interesting that you have only had male horses. Is that just the way it turned out, or do you prefer them to females horses (fillies/mares)?

Those horses were all geldings but I have also had mares. My daughter and I had three mares at one point. They were all good. Usually geldings are the easiest as some mares can be tricky when they are in season. Stallions are a whole other matter and if you are not breeding them it is a bigger task to ride and show them especially for an amateur rider.

Gosh, I completely forgot about Mares coming into season, like any other female mammal. I suppose. Yes, I can see that would be tricky.

Some mares react strongly and others like the ones we had do not. Just like human females really! Thanks for commenting Emma. I always enjoy your participation.

I’m always full of questions!!

7. I am so glad that you got back after a long break, and loving it.

Me too Susie! It has made all the difference in my life.

1. Something that you choose to do, is wonderful.

8. This brought a tear to my eye. Each horse brings such a gift to their rider. A gift that is never forgotten. Thank you for sharing your horses with us.

Thank you so much for this comment. I am happy to have shared these horses with you.

You were fortunate to have the right horse at the right time, to move both you and your equine partner along that developmental curve. Just as in life, timing is so critical.
    I very much enjoyed this post, Anne!

Thank you Sandy. I appreciate this comment as you have got it right….life and horse life all depend on good choices made at the right time!

1. newlifenewadventure83 says:

Thank you!

10. doar nicole says:

What a nice post, I loved it, photos and words, details… 30 years gap, I wouldn’t have imagined it. And such a way of explaining and putting it all, “the right horse at the right time”… perfect to show how in life good timing (or rhyming, if I could add) can be key. 🙂

thank you Nicole. A wonderful comment from you ( as usual ).

11. Juli Hoffman says:

I love this story and it’s so very true! Each horse has its own set of talents, baggage, etc… Being in a “relationship” with a horse isn’t the same as owning a lapdog. LOL The relationship has to work, and not all relationships do. Thank you so much for sharing your memories with us! 😀

You are so welcome. It was fun for me to write this post.

12. So much like growth in human relationships…these equine friends help us on our life’s path, don’t they?
    Your post is so insightful and filled with gems from one such as I who isn’t involved in everyday horsey-stuff. Thank you Anne.
    😉

I’m so glad you found something in this post Laura. The right horse can be a wonderful companion on our journey in life. Thanks for this lovely comment.

13. So fun to see those photos of past horses! What a great post.

14. Jeff Rab says:

Love the explanation, the pictures, the experience, the insight in this post, Anne!! That picture of you and Amos is adorable and looks like part of a movie trailer for a Western movie!! Great post!!

15. Frank Prem says:

Great story, Anne. Well done.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )