It is what it is!

“It is what it is” has been a phrase that I have repeated to myself and others dozens of times over the last few days. Why? I will not be riding for six months.

Not riding for six months? To make a long story shorter here are the basics. I fractured my trochanter ( that is the bone you can feel at the side of your hip.) back at the end of June. There was a silver lining to this however. The xrays showed that the replaced parts of this hip were worn out and needed to be replaced It had held up for 20 years so clearly it was past its “best before” date. I went to see the surgeon who had replaced both of my hips. He agreed the the right hip was in need of repair. He is now retired from surgery so he referred me to another surgeon in the same hospital. I saw him this past week. He told me he did not think he could do the replacement surgery until the fracture in the trochanter had filled in more. He told me he has to dislocate my hip to put in a new socket liner and if he did that now he would most likely break the hip again. So that’s pretty clear. He told me he did not want to forbid me to ride but also did not want to see me on a horse. So that was pretty clear too . I thought about it and decided the best thing to do was not to ride. I had been taking Biasini for walks in the forest but the last time I went my hip had been giving me grief while I was riding and when I got off it was very sore. It did cross my mind that it might be best not to ride.

On December 6 I go back for more xrays and I hope the trochanter fracture will be looking better. Then we can book the surgery for when I return from Florida in April. So now what?

1. I have a plan and know that once this surgery is done my hip will function better and I will be back riding and training.
  2. In the meantime my coach Belinda Trussell will ride and so will her assistant trainer Lynsey Rowan. That has kept Biasini in tip top form and condition and they will keep him there in Florida also.
  3. Since Biasini is looking good and going so well I have asked Lynsey and Belinda to show him at the Global Dressage Festival. Both of them were happy to show him. So now I will able to watch two excellent professionals compete on my horse. And one of them, Belinda, is an Olympian! I am so lucky to have them ride Biasini in the competition arena.
  4. I can still go to Florida and groom and tack up Biasini and be in warm weather while doing it. And I can watch Belinda and Lynsey riding and training Biasini.
  5. I have lots of blogging work to do. This year there are several Canadian dressage riders who will be competing for scores to try to qualify for the Pan American Games, to be held in Santiago, Chile, October 2023. I will be interviewing the Canadian riders and taking photos of them competing. So I will be busy.

I think that there is much to be grateful for despite not being able to ride. So I am looking ahead with optimism! Similar to the view in my featured photo it may seem dark but at the center there is a view of sunshine and flowers blooming.

Chestnut horse head.
Biasini is looking ahead too, he loves the warm weather in Florida.

1. Darts and Letters says:

I really admire your positive outlook on a frustrating situation. A reminder that looking at circumstances in more discrete parts, setting goals, is a good way to see the forest for the trees. Not something I’ve been particularly good at over my life but I’m getting infinitely better at it in my older age.

A comment by you on Robert’s site led me here, out of curiosity. Love your autumn pictures! Also, the horse stuff is interesting reading to this neophyte. My niece is on the equestrian team at Michigan State U, she just started this year. Next time I see her maybe I can surprise her with some of my new knowledge πŸ™‚

Nice to hear from you. Being on the Equestrian team at university is a big accomplishment. So it would be fun if you could let her know you are increasing your knowledge of horses!πŸ˜ƒ

2. rkrontheroad says:

Sorry to hear about this set back. How wonderful to have found good people to care for your beautiful horse. Enjoy the warm trip anyway.

Thank you I am very lucky to have two such accomplished riders to keep Biasini going while I am offπŸ˜€

3. Avery says:

I do love your positivity! Sorry I am commenting in reverse order. But I do love your Florida updates, no matter what perspective!

Thanks Avery πŸ’•

4. You gotta do what you gotta do. Take care of your body and follow your doctor’s advice. Hope everything ends up healed and in goo order in the end.

I am sure it will and my hip is not my heart and it is not a life threatening illness. Just an inconvenience. Thanks for commenting.

1. That is a good way of looking at it.

5. pattimoed says:

I think you’ll both enjoy the warm weather in Florida! It’s a great place to heal. (Both Rich and I have gone there for that reason and it helped so much.). You’ve got the right attitude, Anne. Take care.

Thank you Patti.

6. Firn Hyde says:

Your attitude is so inspiring! We’re blessed that there is so much more to horses than riding. I’m sure Biasini is delighted that his mom is there to groom him, give him plenty of treats, and love on him. Hope to see you back in the saddle soon!

Thank you so much for this comment. I am grateful for the time I spend with Biasini too.

7. Michele Lee says:

I am sorry to read that you are not able to ride, Anne, but your positive mindset will see you through. Best wishes with everything you are dealing with. 🌻

Thank you Michele. I will get through it. Step by step.

1. Michele Lee says:

Yes, you will, Warrior Anne!

I very much appreciate your comment Michele.

1. Michele Lee says:

You are welcome, Anne.

8. Pepper says:

Love your positive attitude, Anne. Looking forward to reading about your time in Florida. 😊

Thank you . I’m glad you are lookin forward to my Florida blog posts.

9. David says:

I was going to ask about this separately, away from the blog, regarding the fracture. It must have been difficult to hear your surgeon to say he would prefer if you remain dismounted until he can get you fixed. And, your Biasini riding so well with Belinda and Lynsey at the reins, if you would permit them to compete with him. I know you want to be that rider competing with Biasini.

D-E-T will be in Toronto for the Royal Horse Show, next year or in ’24 and they’ll be expecting you to be healed up (or close to it). And, yes, they would want to meet Biasini.

A lot of hard work ahead. Time to get started.

Thank you David for this comment. I will be fully recovered and happy to introduce D-E-T to Biasini.

10. Flowery light at the end of the tunnel, I like it. So great to have fantastic hoomans for Biasini to be kept busy. Awesome to be able to keep yourself surrounded with what you love. I hope you find much fun so time fly’s.

I am sure I will be busy enough that time will go by quickly Thanks so much for your comment.

11. Lesley says:

God bless you, Anne, you are such an inspiration.
    I’m looking forward to your forthcoming interviews.

Thank you Lesley!

1. Lesley says:

❀️

Thank you Lesley. I am looking forward to interviewing these riders.

12. VJ says:

Sorry to hear you are going through this Anne. Challenges never cease.

Well thats where the ‘it is what it is’comes in thanks VJ!

13. I am glad you have lots of things to look forward to despite the disappointment of not riding. I sure wish I could join you in Florida, but I know you will give your readers lots of good reports while you are there. How exciting to have Biasini show at the Global Dressage Festival later this Winter. Can’t wait to hear about it.

Thank you. It is very exciting to think of being able to watch him ridden in the Global Festival.

14. How exciting! I wish Biasini and his riders the best with the upcoming dressage festival!

I will pass on your good wishes to Belinda and Lynsey.Thank you Lillian.

15. Paula Light says:

It’s good you’re keeping positive about this πŸ’•

I always find that finding something positive to grasp on to makes me feel better Thank you for you comment Paula .

16. I admire your grateful and positive attitude, Anne.
    And if you can possibly arrange a trip to Chile, it’s a great country and wonderful people.

Thank you Robert. I have been to Chile many years ago . I stayed in Santiago at a time when there was a lot of rioting and a 8pm curfew. Nonetheless I enjoyed it and found some very nice people that I have kept in touch with over the years. I also went down to Puerto Mont and from there by bus to Argentina and Buenos Aires.

17. Walks will be nice until you can ride.

18. Sherry Mitchell says:

Best of luck to you Leueen! I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I am sure it will be bitter sweet to watch Biasini from the ground. I am sure he will shine!

Thank you for this comment Sherry. I am sure Biasini will shine.

19. Love your positive attitude. I am the same way with my knee. I have to go slow to strengthen it,and that’s what I have been doing. Hugs to you πŸ€—β€οΈ

Thank you for the hugs Susie. At our age we must be cautious and strengthen injured parts carefully!

You have a good plan in place, Anne. And still get to enjoy warm, Florida weather!

Exactly Sandy.Better to be in a warmer climate with a dicey hip than slipping about on the ice up here. πŸ˜„