Last year Canadian Olympian Belinda Trussell was not in Florida for the winter show season. But she’s here this year and I was able to ask her some questions about her horses, her competitions and how she manages her time.
1. Last year, with the border closed, you were not able to come to Florida for the winter season. You are here this year. How does it feel to be back?
It’s great to be back. What I love about Wellington is the caliber of horses and riders all in one location. I need to be around that top quality to keep improving myself. The horses and riders stimulate me and help me to become a better rider and continue to improve my horses. When I stay at home and don’t see that quality its easy for me to become complacent, I think I’m doing well, but perhaps not to the international quality I’m striving for.
2. Although there have never been any lockdowns or restrictions here in Florida, do you feel that the Covid situation is safe here?
I feel safe. I’m a pretty quiet person naturally, so I don’t go out to big events very often. Everything is also outside, and so much is available to protect us, we have access to KN95 masks, and vaccines. I feel safe.
3. You have shown one of your horses, Insterlana at Global in a National Show. Will you be showing Insterlana in a CDI this winter season?
Oh yes! I’m not sure when I will show her CDI, It might be in March. I am working with Debbie McDonald and she wants me to “tweak” a few things before entering the CDI. I’ll enter another national show to work on the details first.
4. Insterlana is owned by Suzy Zucker. Can you tell me about this mare? What is her age, and does she have any personality quirks that people might not know about her? What is her “barn name”?
Her barn name is Lana. She is so sweet!!! She loves to cuddle, she is the type of horse to leave her food to come over for a cuddle. I find her shy, and she worries if she doesn’t understand something. I need to take my time with her to make sure she understands my aids. She always tries, but when she doesn’t understand she worries about that. It has taken us time to get to know each other, and we are still working on it!
5.You are showing Lana at the Small Tour ( Prix St.George and Intermediare 1). What movements in those tests does Lana like best?
She has top quality canter pirouettes when I ride them well! She can sit! I had some really nice scores for the canter half passes at the last show too.
6. Do you have any future goals or plans with Lana?
I would love to take Lana to the Pan American Games next year in Chile. She is 16 this year, so as long as she stays healthy, and I stay healthy and she wants to compete, I’m hoping this could be a goal for us.
.How many horses do you have here this year in Florida?
I have 13 horses this year in Florida and six students I am teaching. It’s busy!
8.How do you balance teaching ,riding ,and showing ?
I try to be in the moment, and have gratitude for what I have. It helps me not feel overwhelmed. I also LOVE to play tennis, I’m not good, but its so fun! So that helps me stay balanced. But there are days I need an afternoon nap!
Belinda and Anton, her mount for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
Thank you Belinda for taking the time to answer my questions and I wish you all the best for this winter season!