LAPC #165 The wider view.

This week Lens Artist Patti, at Pilotfish blog, has given us the challenge of taking a wider view with our cameras. I rarely take wide angle photos of horses. I have a 24-55 lens and a 55-250 and the one I use most often at horse shows is a 150-600. Here is why. This is a photo taken with my phone of the competition rings at last weekends show. You can see there is a grey horse in ring 1 and another horse going round the outside of ring 2.

Here are some photos taken of horses in those rings. First two shots of Lynsey Rowan riding in Ring 1 taken with my 600mm lens.

Here are two photos of Belinda Trussell in ring 2. Again this is the 600mm lens .

So I went to my archives to see if I could find any wider angles. I did find some. Here is the Trooping of the Color in London.

Dragon boat Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bayon Temple, Angkor, Cambodia
Village Tonle Sap lake, Cambodia
The Shard London.

Thank you Patti for this challenge. It is always fun to take a trip down memory lane and find photos that will fit the bill for the challenge. I find it especially so now since I have not travelled at all during the Pandemic and it is a joy to see these photos. I live in hope that in the future I will be travelling again.

1. Tina Schell says:

One of my favorite things about the challenge is “tripping down memory lane” enjoying the look back at wonderful journeys of the past Anne. Loved your Londoners and also your dragon boat. Wonderful images, sorry I’m late to comment.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. No worries about the timing. We all get swamped sometimes.

2. Maria says:

I personally appreciate the photos of Belinda and her beautiful horse, but those houses in Cambodia are very interesting as well!

Yes they are but I am glad I am not living in one of them on top of the water.

1. Maria says:

Me too! That would be very scary! I like water, but I don’t want to live that close to the water.

3. Lovely photos. It’s true that paging trough photos help to bring back fond memories of times gone by.

Yes it is a pleasure to remember travels and good times.

4. All your views are quite stunning, Anne! It’s cool to see the wide-angle of the competition ring in that first pic. Always nice to “go back” to our archives! Hope you can travel soon!

Thank you Terri. Our son lives in London and we see him on What’s App chats once a week but it is not the same as being able to go over to London and see him.

5. Leya says:

Love your wide choices, Anne! So many beautiful horses! And wow what a long boat…that dragon boat. And – I never would be able to manage your long lens!

Thank you Ann Christine. I have to use a monopod to shoot with it as it is very heavy. But it works well.

1. Leya says:

Ah, yes, I saw that in one of your posts too. But just to carry it with you…glad it works well for you anyway!

I carry it with the monopod attached and put it over my shoulder. It’s not too bad then

1. Leya says:

Ah, like on TV!

6. cigarman501 says:

That may be the longest dragon boat I’ve ever seen. Your photos are wonderful.

Thank you so much. When we were there they were practicing for some big dragon boat race and there were several very big ones.

You have taken some great photos here – it reminds me that so often wonderful views just don’t translate into photos as the vast sky swallows them up!

Thanks for leaving this comment Emma. You have the artists’ perspective on wide angles.

8. Len’s half brother was a guard outside the palace ❀️

That is interesting. My Grandfather amd his two brothers were in the Guards and the youngest brother was in the navy. Thanks for letting me know about Len’s half brother.

1. My pleasure πŸ€—

9. Amazing photos just stunning, you have certainly seen some beautiful wonderful sites. The detail is so great even from a distance. It’s so cute the shortest soldier looks like he would hardly be able to see at all, I wonder if the hats come in different sizes. Too cute. Beautiful photos.

I’m sure the bear skin (not sure it is really bear skin but that is what they are called) come in different sizes for the different heads. Thanks for commenting!

10. pattimoed says:

Hi, Anne. I think my first comment disappeared, so I’m posting again. I like how you showed us the capabilities of your favorite lens. 600 mm! That is serious glass! It’s interesting to see how that focal length compares to the wide angle. Like you, I’m anxious to go back to our traveling lifestyle. Well, at least we made it to Canada this year! Take care and enjoy the day.

Thanks Patti. I enjoyed your photos and posts about your trip to Vancouver, my old hometown. The 600mm is a heavy fellow. I have to mount it on a monopod so it will be steady But since I am often a distance away from the competition rings it is necessary to have something like that. I know professionals who have even bigger ones! Thanks again for this challenge!

1. pattimoed says:

You’re very welcome. Yes, a monopod is a great idea.

11. JohnRH says:

Great photos Anne. LOVE the horses. Like prancing statues.

Thank you John. The one of Lynsey Rowan doing the pirouette is my favorite. I have taken a lot of photos of pirouettes and they are so hard to capture just the right moment but this time I got it. Thank you for your comment.

12. Irene says: