In Memoriam:Photo a week Challenge.

Nancy Merril Photograhy has given us the challenge of posting a photo that features a memorial.

At 10:40 am, on July 20, 1982 as Horse Guards were walking along South Carriage Drive in Hyde Park, on their way to the changing of the Horse Guards, a nail bomb, composed of 25 lbs of gelignite and four and six inch nails ,that had been placed in a parked car, was remotely detonated. The explosion was devastating. Three soldiers were killed outright and a fourth died of his wounds in hospital three days later. In total seven horses were killed and 8 were severely injured. The IRA (Irish Republican Army) claimed responsibility.

On that day these lives were lost: Lieutenant D.R.A. Daly aged 23, Staff Corporal R.J. Bright aged 36, Lance Corporal J.V. Young aged 19 and Trooper S. A Tipper aged 19.  Here is their memorial.

IMG_6709

The horses who died were : Cedric, Epaulette, Falcon, Rochester, Waterford, Yeastvite and Zara.

2-IMG_6653

These photos are not new ones. With Covid I am not able to travel to London so these photos came from my archives.

1. kunstkitchen says:

It was truly a sad day. I was so shocked by the brutality of the act.

Yes it was dreadful. I was in London when it happened and everyone was outraged.

2. From your blog I learned how horses are connected to human history

I am happy to know that I have added to your knowledge of horses in our history. Thank you Subbashini.

Yes it was awful and the British public reacted very stongly to the deaths of the horses . I find it sad to see how young the cavalry men who died were too.

3. cigarman501 says:

Thanks for remembering. So, so terrible what humans sometimes do.

Yes, man’s inhumanity to man. I was still living in England when this happened and the reaction was amazing. People were so outraged. There had been a long history of violence that had targeted the British military but for the IRA to kill horses…..that was too much. Thank you for your comment.

1. cigarman501 says:

In many US,wars before WW II, maybe early in WW II, horses along with men paid a terrible price.

WW1 was devastating for horses with millions killed in action and also when being used for transport of heavy goods. At least now there are no horses in war . Instead they are in many wounded warriors therapy programs helping humans. Something positivie there.