Perspective!

Sometimes life is just not fair. I am not talking about having to wear masks, or being in lockdown or any of those minor inconveniences. I am talking about a life changing moment when one second you are a healthy able bodied young person with the brightest of futures and the next second you are on the ground unconscious and your life, as you knew it, is disappearing.

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, I read about what had happened to Juan Matute Guimon. If you don’t know him let me introduce you. He is a 22 year old dressage rider from Spain. Two years ago I met him at the Winter Equestrian Festival opening press conference. My husband and I were walking along toward the conference and he came walking beside us. We had our mini-Schnauzer with us, as my husband was going to walk her while I was in the conference. Juan chatted with us as his family has mini-Schnauzers as well. In the conference he took his place alongside the other riders . He is the tall one on the far right in this photo.

When he spoke about his plans for the winter competition season he was charming and unassuming. No hint of ego despite his good looks.

I had been watching this young man at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival for several years. His talent and elegance as a rider were clear to see. I also had a chance to see him ride representing Spain at the World Equestrian Games in Tryon N.C 2018

In 2019 he relocated to Spain to attend university and continue his riding and competition in Europe. This past winter season he was in competing in Florida and qualified for the World Cup in Las Vegas. The World Cup and all other equestrian competitions in the US were subsequently cancelled due to Covid-19. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been representing Spain in the Tokyo Olympics had they taken place. Juan returned to Spain and was training with his father who is a Spanish Olympian in dressage.

Then last Tuesday he felt unwell after riding and collapsed, unconscious, on the ground. He had not fallen from a horse or sustained any external injury to his head. He was transported by helicopter to hospital in Madrid. His brain was bleeding. Badly. Wednesday he had CT scans to determine what was happening. He was in a coma. Three hours of brain surgery, still classified as “critical”, but he came through. Today he was scheduled for a second surgery. His condition is still considered critical.

Why do terrible tragedies happen to good people?

I am not religious but I do believe in the power of focused positive thoughts or prayers. So, if you can, please send some to this young man. Juan Matute Guimon needs your help now.

1. Akash Nepali says:

prayers for his strength

Thank you so much.

2. Sending prayer for this young man. Hope it helps.

Thank you. He has had a second surgery and that was successful. But please continue to pray for him as he has a long road to recovery. The fact that he has come this far shows how many are praying and directing that power to him.

3. My prayers, love, and healing thoughts are with Juan, his family, his friends, and the medical professionals that care for him.

4. Fredalyn Evans says:

Prayers

5. Linda Graham says:

I have enjoyed his knowledgeable and enthusiastic commentary on FEI events carried on RideTV. He is also invariably kind in his remarks. Very glad to send a prayer for this beautiful rider.

Thank you. I appreciate your kind comment

6. Joanie Shepard says:

The power of positive thinking allows us to choose our own destiny. We are the product of our choices. I believe you have the abilities to achieve your goals. Your destiny is your choice no matter what obstacles cross your path.

7. Mary Moon says:

It’s very challenging to do, but let go and let God, and wait.

Yes. Let go and let God is a favorite of mine. For this situation it is the best
      Thank you for this comment.

8. Yes sometimes life makes us to think as it is not fair but I believe it is fair, it is having answer for everything. This good person will definitely going to be fine and he is going to be great in his field than before I believe life or nature or almighty will definitely do that. Earth created itself for good purpose and I hope he is one of the reason earth is here for. He will be good, great and live with all the blessings of life. Endless love and respect to him β€οΈπŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

Thank you so much Subbashini!

Oh what a beautiful young man! Such a shame. I have said a prayer for him. I wonder if covid-19 is a factor – it can do all sort of very wierd things to the body including blood clots in the young.

He has tested negative for Covid 19. But you are right and there is a study taking place in New York about younger people who have had the type of stroke that usually affects people 75 and older.They have all had CV19. When I heard about Juan I wondered as Spain has been badly affected. But it is not the cause with him and I think that so far they do not know what has caused it. Thank you for your prayers!

Perhaps he’s just unlucky, although there are many false positives & false negatives with covid-19 testing, I understand. Either way, it’s still a terrible blow for him and his family.

There has been some good news and I’ve put up an update.

10. sscribner07 says:

Oh my goodness! I am so sad to read this and am indeed sending all of my heartfelt thoughts for his recovery.

Thank you so much.So many people have responded to this post. It has been shared often by me and others on Facebook and has been read by over 2000 people and many are sending prayer and strong thoughts for Juan’s recovery. He really is a beautiful rider so I am hoping for a good recovery for him.

11. Sri says:

I will pray for him.

Thank you so much.

Prayers to Juan πŸ™ and his family. Praying he heals completely and hopefully with this post and all the healing power it will envoke as I too do believe in the power of prayer! ❀️❀️❀️

There has been a tremendous response to this post with just over 2000 people reading it . Many bloggers have left positive messages and also I’ve had many from Facebook as well. πŸ’•

13. Randsportler says:

I had the pleasure of watching him compete here in MΓΌnster last year. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Thank you for leaving this comment. Your thoughts and prayers will be much appreciated.

14. O.D. says:

He will be in my prayers Anne πŸ™πŸΎ

Thank you. That is much appreciated especially by his family.

15. Cyranny says:

Oh my… I’m so sorry to read this Anne! I will definately keep Juan in my thoughts!! I really hope he’ll fully recover soon. You are right, there is no justice when it comes to this kind of tragedies. And while this fine young gentleman goes through hell, horrible people go their way, healthy and unharmed. *sigh*

Yes and some go through whinging and whining about minor details. Thank you so much h C for keeping Juan in your thoughts.

16. Juan is in my prayers Anne.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it and his family does too.

17. kunstkitchen says:

Prayers for Juan’s recovery…will do.

Thank you there has been an amazing response to this post on WordPress and via Facebook. At the moment over 4,000 people have read it and so many have responded with positive thoughts and prayers. I hope for what ever is the best for him. Today’s update is he did not have a second surgery because of inflammation in the brain. So they have him on medication to reduce the inflammation. They may do the surgery once that is sorted out.

1. kunstkitchen says:

It’s sounds very serious. Did he have an aneurysm?

I’m not sure exactly . It is a very serious bleed in his brain and they did surgery to stop it but they need to go in again as it has not stopped the bleeding. I don’t know more details than that.

1. kunstkitchen says:

That’s very serious indeed. Praying for a good outcome for Juan.

18. Judy says:

I’ve added him to my prayer wall. God bless him and those in charge of his care.

19. He is in my prayers πŸ™