This is the lesson that never ends!

It just goes on and on my friends! When coach Lou suggested a lesson on the lunge line I happily agreed. But this lunge lesson was not what I was expecting. He attached the lunge line to Biasini and also attached side reins. Then he took the snaffle rein, twisted it and tied it up under Biasini’s chin.

THE KNOT

Here is a photo.

You can see here the twisted snaffle rein against his neck. This is the “knot”.

When I picked up the reins it was very similar to riding with the Tellington Liberty ring. There was no direct contact with Biasini’s mouth. Once we got going Coach Lou would ask me to move the knot ( as seen in the photo above) to the left or to the right or to move it up Biasini’s neck. As soon as Biasini would try to pull down I had to move the knot up under his neck. I immediately noticed this elicited a different response from me than what I usually do to get him up in the shoulder, neck and head. With this set up I would say “Stop” with my fingers and then release in an upward motion. It was remarkably effective. Here is some work at the canter.

SHORTEN THE REINS!

If Lou said that once he said it a hundred times in this lunge lesson. Is this the “short reins win gold medals” that SuperStar Dressage Rider Charlotte Dujardin speaks about? Well I’m not in that league but I did my best to shorten my reins.

OFF THE LUNGE

After what seemed like an eternity the side reins and lunge line were removed and the snaffle rein was unknotted. And then came the moment when I had to prove I had actually learned something! And if I thought the lesson was almost over I was wrong. It went on. And on! There is nothing more tiring for an old bod like me than grappling with a new muscle memory. It is both physically and mentally tiring. Finally, I said: “Is this lesson ever going to end?”

Coach Lou laughed and said yes. There are some mercies in dressage after all!

WAS IT WORTH IT?

Yes. It was worth it. Valuable information had been received and I actually asked to do another lunge lesson the next day. Here is a photo of Biasini and me in trot half pass that was taken a couple of days after the lunge line lesson. You can see his frame is nicely up. My reins are waaaaay toooo long but I’m working on that.

Thanks to Kara Riley King for the photos and video for this post.

Thank you! I think he is too!

1. Tina Schell says:

Such a beautiful team and I can really appreciate your hard work and that of Biasini. Hope the show is going well Anne.

The show has been interesting Tina. On Friday the USEF cancelled all horse shows including the World Cup in Las Vegas. The show I am in continued as this edict comes into effect tomorrow. Biasini was very naughty on Friday and yesterday my coach rode him . I will be riding him this afternoon in the freestyle and I am hoping he will behave better.

1. Tina Schell says:

Oh my, perhaps he didn’t like those last two training sessions!! My granddaughter also participated in a 2-day show this weekend. I’m glad you and she both get to participate before the cancellations

WEll Biasini redeemed himself today. And as a finish for the season we were the Reserve Champions for the FEI Freestyle. He just gets tricky at shows. At home he tries to work hard.

1. Tina Schell says:

WooHoo – congratulations!!!! So happy for both of you πŸ™‚

2. Well, at least Biasini looks relaxed in the video πŸ˜‰. You are still trying out and learning so many new things, it would put many younger people to shame.

3. Oh it is wow to look, Biasini is moving so beautifully like flying in the air.

Thank you Subbashini. I will pass on this lovely compliment to him!

4. You two are a wonderful team!

5. I’m always impressed by the complexities and the number of things a rider has to keep in mind, all at the same time. It’s no wonder it’s both phys. & mentally tiring

Thank you Robert! I appreciate that you can see there is a lot physically and mentally.

6. Sorry I have been missing your posts 1πŸ˜ͺ

I dont think you have missed much. I have not put up anything since the weekend. I am very tied up with training and keeping my fitness up at the gym and preparing for the show this weekend. I hope you are ok with your arm injury.

1. Pain in the arse. Sorry wrong place 🀣

Oh my goodness, you are in great shape! But I do agree I can feel the tiredness as new muscle memory and all are taxing on us older folks mind and body! What a beautiful canter, great lesson learning! ❀️🀠🐴

Thanks Diana. I’m glad you can relate!