Monday Minstrel: Riding the Teeter Totter!

Do not worry! I am not referring to the Teeter Totter of Life! This is the Monday Minstrel and I only aim to entertain and sprinkle a bit of helpful information around. If you follow this blog you will know that my Florida coach Luis Denizard (Lou to his friends) always has some ‘outside the box’ ideas and visuals to get a concept across. You may remember “riding the mounting block” and the “carrying the pitchfork”. Well this year the “teeter totter” has been the image that Lou has used to help me. How does this work?

Balance

In dressage we want the horse to be balanced and not on the forehand. In some other disciplines, such as cutting horses , being on the forehand is essential. But for dressage it is anathema! We want dressage horses to carry more weight behind. And as we train our horses up the levels we want more and more weight to be carried behind. At the very least we want the horse to be level. A balanced teeter totter.

The heaviest person is sitting at the back.

I imagine I am sitting in the middle of the teeter totter and behind me ( Biasini’s hind end) has someone heavy sitting on the teeter totter. In front of me (Biasini’s shoulder, neck and head) there is a much lighter person.

Image Pinterest.

When I am riding the mental image of that heavy person behind me lifting up the teeter totter is one that really helps me to ask Biasini to lift up in front .

It is an easy visual to remember and to use and most importantly….it works!

1. Lignum Draco says:

Lou knows how to get his point across in an easy to understand way.

You are right he does. He also knows what images work for each student . If one does not help them he will change to another. Thanks for commenting.

2. chloelights says:

It is very interesting to learn about all the mind tricks needed when working together with a horse! It must be exciting to see you both evolve!

It is interesting how well the mind tricks or visualizations. Thanks for commenting.

I love his analogy! This is a great image to use. Happy teeter totter, rather riding! ❤️🐴😃

4. Amy says:

It does take special skills and knowledge to train and communicate with these horses. That was cool shot!

5. Your coach has a real knack for thinking up effective images, that’s a great skill.

He does this a lot. I find it works very well for me.

6. That’s an awesome visual, Anne 😁 I don’t know anything about horse riding, but understand what you mean!

I’m glad it made some sense to you. Thanks for commenting.

7. Dina says:

Amazing! You drew a very interesting picture of this mental exercise. Of course it works!:-)