In the Country…

I live in the country so when I saw that Amy’s challenge for Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #64 was countryside or small towns I grabbed my cameras and went out to take a few photos of the area around our house.

We have one acre on the corner of a 100 acre farm. Back in the day when this part of Ontario was being divided up for settlers the lots were all 100 acres each. It was allowed to section off a 1 acre piece in a corner as the “retirement” lot for the farmers when they retired and their children took over running the farm. Our one acre was sectioned off and sold , a developer built the house we now live in. We moved here from the center of the city 20 years ago. The picture above shows the farmers soy bean fields at the back of our house. He also farms hundreds of acres on other lands. Here are the silos where grain is stored ,the barn and other buildings.

NEIGHBORS

Here in the country we have the best neighbors. If we were in trouble we could call them any time for help. And …..here are our other neighbors! They are pretty laid back; two cows and two calves. The farmer does not have many cows as his business is crops of soybeans and corn.

THE COUNTRY APPROACH TO TRESPASSERS

A few years ago the farmer had sheep in this paddock. One day I looked out and saw two large black dogs chasing the sheep. I shouted to my husband David and he called the farmer. I ran out with David to the side of the fence. One dog already had a sheep down and was holding it by the nose. The other dog was at the back of the sheep. David had a long pole and tried to get the dogs away from the sheep. Neither of us wanted to climb into the field with those two dogs. Then the farmer drove up in his truck. He got out with a hockey stick in his hand. The other young man with him had shotgun.

“Make my day,” the farmer said to the dogs wielding the hockey stick above his head. The dog at the back of the sheep took off running. But the other one did not let go of the downed sheep. The farmer gave him a resounding smack on the nose with the hockey stick. The dog let go. The sheep had a bloodied nose but was otherwise unhurt.

So....in this part of Canada the hockey stick is the weapon of choice for trespassers! The farmer has a legal right to shoot any dogs that interfere with his livestock because if they stampede, run onto the road, causing an accident, the farmer is at fault not the dog owner. The owner of these dogs was visiting someone across the road. Here in the country people who own big dogs like that and come up from the city with dogs not under control are known locally as “citydiots”.

This is a photo taken after the ice storm of 2013.

It looked a bit different today.

1. JohnRH says:

Great photos, great story.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting.

2. You live in a lovely locale with fine people. We should all be so lucky.

I am very lucky. Thanks for this comment.

3. How very Canadian, but the hockey stick would make a pretty good weapon. I do a lot of walking here in England and farmers are allowed to shoot dogs that are harassing livestock. Some farmers will post a sign at gate points saying that they will just shoot.

4. Leya says:

Thank you for a beautiful tour and a good story – and, a Happy Ending! I love learning new words, and that I got too…
    Unfortunately we have them here as well, those citydiots, with dogs running loose and sometimes killing the farm animals. Good to have good neighbours for help – never heard of a hockey stick weapon though. A resourceful man!

Thank you Leya. I think the hockey stick is a Canadian thing.🀣

5. Irene says:

What a lovely place to live. Loved your story! Thinking I need to get a hockey stick. 😁

Haha! Yes a hockey stick can do the trick. Thank you for reading and leaving this comment.

6. Thank you for sharing your story, and the beautiful photos. Very pretty.

You are most welcome Susie. Glad you enjoyed it.

7. pattimoed says:

I love the story of the dogs and the sheep…with a happy ending. A hockey stick is a weapon of choice! I love that! And the farmer saying, “Make my day.” (We just saw “Dirty Harry” again so that quote was funny.) Your shots are gorgeous. I can see why you love living there.

Thank you Patti. I enjoyed having an opportunity to tell the hockey stick story. Thanks for your comment.

8. I viewed the last picture in full screen and felt like been there for a minute, amazing place. Love the second picture from the last, try to paint it when I learn and understand painting well. Thanks for sharing your experience ma’am, in a way it becomes knowledge to someone like me who don’t know anything about this.

Thank you so much for this comment Subbashini. I am glad the photo could bring you to my part of the world in spirit if not in body.

9. I viewed this last picture for full screen and felt like been there for a minute amazing place. Love the second picture from last try to paint it when I learn and understand painting well. Thanks for sharing your experience ma’am, in way it becomes knowledge to someone like me who don’t know anything about that.

10. Lignum Draco says:

You live in a beautiful part of the world. Very picturesque. Yes, citydiots are everywhere.

Thank you. And yes they abound in many places πŸ˜€

11. So beautiful and peaceful!

12. Awesome πŸ‘ looks very autumn-ish πŸ‚ πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’•

Yes it is and everyday it gets more so!

13. Avery says:

so so pretty! You should just take a tour on B all over the place. It will look even more pretty!!!

B lives about 10 minutes by car from here. He has forests around him that are full of trails and the farm is 35 acres with access to a regional conservation area that also has trails. So I don’t ride him here
      Sometimes farmers are not too happy about people riding in fields in case they trample the crops.

14. TCast says:

Oh wow, such a beautiful and peaceful place to live.

So lucky to live in such a beautiful place! Great shots, Anne.

16. Woww. Anne. You live in beautiful and peaceful place. Thanks for showing us around…

1. Roaming around the crops, watching day-to-day activities, fresh air and wonderful neighborhood… Countryside is really a great place to live!

It is. We used to live right in the center of Toronto. We had a park across the street which was nice but beyond the park was a major highway. Our cars, window ledges , basically any surface outside was covered in small hard black bits of grit. It was brake filings from the cars on the highway. When we first moved up here ( we are north east of the city) I went from window to window just looking out and enjoying the views. And no black bits of grit!!

1. I never stayed in country side but during my teacher’s training program we were assigned to teach kids in a nearby village. Those kids were so smart, their parents used to bring fresh fruits and vegetables for us, invited us to see their crops, and there we had delicious fresh butter milk a lot!!
            I can never forget that amazing 15 days visit ever.

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing it.

17. Amy says:

These are beautiful images, Anne! What a story of the stories of the hockey stick.
    I didn’t see your link on my post. Do you mind to use this link instead: https://shareandconnect.wordpress.com/2019/09/21/lens-artists-photo-challenge-64-countryside-and-or-small-towns/
    The link you use was from the Reader, which won’t show up….
    Thank you, Anne!

Sorry about the link
      I will try again with the link you gave me.

18. Judy says:

God bless good neighbors. Not enough of them in the world. Citydiots is being kind. No excuse for irresponsible owners.

I agree Judy. Especially as these dogs are a breed made to be guard dogs and attack dogs. People get them as “designer dogs” I think. Thank you for commenting.

19. Your part of Ontario looks pretty identical to where I grew up in NY, in the Finger Lakes area, not surprising, and not far apart. Even the cows look familiar. πŸ™‚ I think the number of sheep, in the southern part of Seneca County, is slowly increasing, but I haven’t noticed any farmers with hockey sticks instead of shepherd’s crooks! πŸ™‚
    Wow, that ice storm photo is pretty cool!!

That ice storm was something else. We were without power for about 48 hours and lucky it was not longer. The farmer neighbor used to have quite few sheep but his kids were teens then and it was their job to look after them. Once they had all gone on to university he sold the sheep and got a couple of cows. Thanks for this comment Robert.

20. Tina Schell says:

Loved your tour of your home and the fields around it. How nice that parcels included land for the farmers’ retirement! Also loved the story about the citiots. Here we have tourists who do equally idiotic things. We call them tourons πŸ™‚

Haha! Tourons! Thanks for commenting Tina.

21. Prior... says:

The ice storm phot from 2013 has mood and color and energy…
    Nice country photos
    and Thanks for new word / citydiots! Ha…
    Oh and hockey sticks have many uses, eh?

The ice storm photo was a serendipity with that rainbow light refraction appearing. Thank you for commenting and yes the hockey stick has its uses off the ice as well.

1. Prior... says:

That was s funny story imagining the hockey stick – well not funny with the stress and the dog not being properly supervised to even allow for that to happen – but shows you the many uses of that hockey stick in Canada!

WOW, I Love where you live as it’s just BEAUTIFUL!! Your photos are amazing and I’m so happy the sheep was okay. I like what you all call the citydiot, haha, made me giggle! I’m so happy you shared! β™₯️β™₯️β™₯️

Well that story is one of my favorite country stories. The hockey stick as a weapon. So Canadian! I’m glad you enjoyed this post Diana. Thanks for commenting.

Giggling, the hockey stick weapon is sooo appropriate!! 🀣🀣🀣