A Different Way of Winning.

Winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.

Vince Lombardi

I don’t think I could live my life following that mantra. Vince Lombardi was a football coach and player and maybe it worked for him. But there are different ways of winning.

At the Christmas party, at Belinda Trusell’s Oakcrest Farm, Belinda spoke about her ride at WEG ( World Equestrian Games). She told us that for her it was the best Grand Prix ride she had ever had on her horse Tattoo. She felt he gave her a winning ride. She did not mean their score would win the gold medal. She did not mean it was their best score ever. She meant that Tattoo had given her everything he could on that day. He had gone out there and done his very best. ” It was a different way of winning,”Belinda said.

A ‘different way of winning’ struck a real chord with me. Getting a horse and rider qualified for their nation’s team for a major Championship like the Olympics or World Games is a huge endeavor. Two athletes must be at peak fitness both mentally and physically. So to get into the ring and have your horse absolutely on your side, giving you his all, that is a win. That is winning. Here is another quote that is a different kind of winning.

“I think my greatest victory was every time I walked out there, I gave it everything I had. I left everything out there. That’s what I’m most proud of.”

Jimmy Connors

That is what Belinda and Tattoo did at WEG. Tattoo went out there and gave it everything he had. He left everything out there. That is a different way of winning.

1. kunstkitchen says:

What a beauty! They look so perfect together.

Yes! Thanks so much for commenting.

2. Eric says:

“A different way of winning.” That a great perspective to have on life. Thanks for sharing.

You are most welcome Eric. Thank you for reading and commenting.

3. This second quote sounds me like, that is the way of living

I agree. It is the one I can live by as well.

4. Reading your posts, I am learning about the vital connection between horse and rider. They are only two of a team (since I know there are trainers and many more involved.

I really like this a different way of winning. We can win with a second place finish or even a loss. If her horse gave her eveything he had, she did win.

Good post..

Thank you. I think that the great challenge and also the great gift of riding a horse is that it is a team that you are in with a member of a different species. I appreciate your thoughts and your comment.

5. iScriblr says:

A wonderful thought to share!❤️

Thank you. I appreciate hearing from you .

Thank you Avery!😀

6. I love this refreshing view on winning ♥️ great thinking and writing here!

Thank you for taking the time to read and to leave this comment.

That’s a very positive way to look at taking part in a competitive event, I think usually you pick holes in the performance, but sometimes I guess you know you did everything you could.

I think in cooperative sport especially a judged sport it is the only way to go. I always appreciate your comments Emma😀

No problem – you always write such interesting blogs!

8. Thanks for your thoughts. My daughter have up going to contests in lieu of going to master classes. She wanted to teach and train and felt that master classes have her more to learn from

Sounds like she made a food decision for herself . Knowledge is so important. Thank you for your comment.

I Love this, as I do AGREE! Winning isn’t about being first, winning the prize or being number one in the class. I truly believe if you try your best, and your horse tries his hardest that is the winning team. It’s a great way to look at one’s life, aren’t we all winning? I hope so, lovely post! ❤️❤️❤️

Thank you Diana. I’m so glad you agree with this approach to winning. Thanks for commenting I appreciate it very much.