An Unusual Ride!

This week the Word Press Photo Challenge is the word  UNUSUAL.

Elephant ride at Bayon temple, Angkor Cambodia  I usually ride a horse so riding an elephant is unusual for me. This photo was taken a few years ago when my husband and I were in Cambodia at the Temples of Angkor. At the Bayon Temple they offer rides on the elephants.  The mahout told us he had this  elephant since she was very young. No bits or bridles here. The mahout sits behind the elephant’s ears and has a small short stick that he would tap her with and she knew where to turn or when to stop or go. The movement of the elephant is huge, even at the walk.

At the temple of Angkor Wat I saw a little pony. I am often fearful that horses or donkeys in  tourist areas will not be well looked after. But this little fellow was in good weight, hooves neatly trimmed and his coat well groomed. He had on a small saddle as he was there with his handler for Cambodian children visiting the temples to ride.  This beautifully decorated bridle is also unusual.

Angkor Wat  pony

I have not associated Cambodia as a country with horses and in fact the pony was the only one I saw while we were there. But judging by this carving on one of the walls in Angkor Wat , it was not unusual for there to be horses in the armies of the ancient Cambodia.

Angkor

To see other responses to this challenge click on this link.

1. Avery says:

Beautiful! Great photos. I love hearing about your travels

We do less distant travel now. I don’t want to be away from riding and Biasini for too long and we go twice a year to London to see our son who lives there so that is most of our travel now. But that’s ok!

1. Avery says:

I hear you! It is a different season in your life now…more than OK! As it should be! You are blessed to have those past experiences and memories.

2. MoJo says:

I rode horses my whole life, too, so I figured it wouldn’t be that strange to ride an elephant. WRONG! It was the oddest feeling ever! Gorgeous pics and of course I was blown away by that bridle. Spectacular! 🙂

Thanks for your comment and yes it’s a very different stride to a horse. I can’t begin to imagine what it would be like if the elephant set off at a trot!

1. MoJo says:

Exactly! Can’t you just imagine the riding lesson on that? “But instructor…I really am using my leg but I just can’t seem to master the flying lead change on this guy.” Hahaha! They are spectacular animals though.

3. How fun! Great job on your daily prompt!

4. We bet that elephant was a bit more sluggish then Biasini. Looks like a lot of fun.

HaHa! Yes but if the elephant started to trot off it would be pretty hard to stay on.

1. I can imagine it would be hard to stay on them. You would be like a pea on its back. They seem to roll forward on those tree trunk legs. Not like Biasini.

Yes I think that is why they have the seat for people like my husband and me who are amateur elephant riders. The movement is not jarring at all but there is a big roll with each step. Thanks for your comment .

Hmm…I fear I might feel a bit seasick on an elephant with
    all the motion.

I get terrible motion sickness but the elephant was ok. I have heard camels can make people seasick.

6. I’ve ridden on an elephant in India! It certainly is different.

Yes it is. They are wonderful creatures I think. Thanks for the comment. Interesting to know you have been in India.

1. My first husband was from India We went for about a month during my break from teaching. Hot, hot, hot!!

7. Ben Aqiba says:

wow..that must be funny

It is very different from a horse. But the elephant seemed calm and gentle. I can’t imagine what it would be like if it went faster!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )