The flowers knew it was coming!

Last Saturday, May 21, started off so pleasantly. The sun was shining and there was no sign of what was to come. But then I looked down at the aquilegia ( columbine) . All their little heads were turned down.

Did they know something I did not? Was there a storm coming?

At around 1pm our phones began to shriek an alert. Severe weather Take shelter immediately! What seemed like only a few minutes later, the heavens opened, and rain was lashing against the windows. Then the power went out. From our kitchen we could see a tree had come down across the road. The rain and wind were certainly very severe and lasted about 20 minutes. Then we saw the farmer next door to us had come out with his tractor and cleared the fallen tree so cars could still get down the road. As we looked down the road we could see that more trees were down.

Later we learned a tornado had ripped through the town that is about 20 minutes away from us. Roofs had been ripped off and cars flipped over! We considered ourselves lucky that our house was not damaged, our trees were not damaged, and neither were we!

Next day I drove up to the barn. They did not have power either. But there is a generator that runs the well pump so the horses have water. This is what I saw on the road to the barn.

If you look closely you can see this tree is laying on two power lines.

On the way home I found this on the road.

As you can see more power lines are involved.

At the bottom of the road we live on there was this!

Fortunately this house was not damaged .

The crews from Ontario Hydro, who are the providers of electricity in Ontario ,were working overtime to get the power back on. But big trees have to be cleared by arborists or tree removal workers. We thought the power might come back on before too long. But once we learned there were some 5,000 people in our area without power we realized it would be much longer. So we set about living a non electric life.

We have an old two burner camp stove. It still works and we cooked meals on it and heated water for tea or coffee and washing up dishes.We are in the country and get our water from a well. No power, no water from the well, as it cannot be pumped up. What to do? We bucketed water from our pool . The pool is not opened up yet but has lots of “green” water from rain and snow so there was lots to use. Not for drinking! For flushing the toilet.

By day five the non electric life had worn pretty thin. But I reminded myself that if I lived in Ukraine a lack of electricity would be the least of my worries . And we had our house undamaged and my horse, Biasini, was just fine too. And those aquilegias?They also survived the rain and wind . They are indeed the Flowers of the Day.

Today, May 25 , power came back on. Here is a photo my husband took with his phone of the power workers doing the last bit to restore our electricity.

So there you have it. In years to come people here will say :” Where were you in the storm of 2022?”

1. Rupali says:

Your flower observation reminds me of the stories I read about the way the animals and birds reacted before the Tsunami waves hit the shore in 2004. I am glad that all were safe.

Thank you Rupali.

2. Wow! A non electric life nowadays must not be easy at all! I’m glad that your house and Biasini is ok! Gorgeous purple aquilegias!

Yup it is a challenge.. The biggest challenge was not having any water as the well pump cannot pump without electricity! So we had to bucket water from the pool for toilet flushing and buying bottled water to drink. Thanks for commenting and we are happy to have power back on!

3. Kevin says:

I’m glad to hear your home’s humans and Biasini are unharmed.
    We happened to be a little east from the town of Lindsay during those very high winds. When people say “it sounded like a freight train“, now I know.
    We too were all fine and like you, no electricity.

I have to tell you that the next time my phone gives a storm alert especially if it mentions Tornados I am heading for the basement! Places in Uxbridge had their roofs torn right off and windows explode.

4. Oh wow, I’m so glad you guys were okay! The damage is frightening; that’s amazing that your flowers survived the whole thing too. I hope everyone else in your area is doing okay.

Yes we have a small patch around us that got away without too much damage. But the house at the end of our road did loose a big tree.

1. Ah, I’m sorry to hear that. It sounds like a beautiful tree. I hope your neighbors are doing alright too 🙂

Yes we have spoken with all our neighbours and they are all happy to have come through without injury or serious damage to their homed.

5. Cee Neuner says:

Looks like you had quite the ordeal. Beautiful photography. 😀

Thank you Cee. I thought those flowers deserved the accolade of being the “Flowers of the Day”!

1. Cee Neuner says:

Most definitely 😀 😀

6. Roadtirement says:

Glad you came through with no damage to house, barn or trees. Nature has a way of giving warnings, like the flowers you observed. Did you notice was Biasini nervous prior to the storm? My grandfather had a 5-gaited that always got visibly nervous before storms came through.

My coach was at a show in Ottawa and before the storm the horses, who were in tent stabling ,all got agitated rearing and spinning. But when the storm hit they were absolutely quiet and still standing in the corners of the stalls.

7. So glad you, your family, home and horse are safe! Five days is a long time to go non-electric-using the pool water is a great idea though so at least the bathrooms are usable. Still, things get uncomfortable fast, especially if weather is too cold or hot. I am sorry you had to go through that but glad it is behind you now!

Wow! That’s pretty shocking. Are torandos something that happen often in your part of Canada? Yes, life without power wears thin very fast.

No they are not common here .This is a rarity. But perhaps with climate change we will have more.

9. Glad you are all safe. That kind of unpredictable weather scares me. You can do nothing if it happens.

You are right If I get that phone warning again I will head for the basement!

1. Good on you. They updated the warning signals and tested it country wide just last week. Must be because we are earth quake, tsunami and storm prone here in NZ.

10. de Wets Wild says:

Having seen the devastation now I am even more relieved that you came through this relatively unscathed!

Thank you.It was amazing. There are still people in Quebec without power. I just heard on the news this morning that 150,000 people in the Ottawa area had been without power.So it was a very destructive storm.

1. de Wets Wild says:

We’re holding thumbs that services can be restored to all those affected in good time.

Thank you so much. We got our power back Thursday afternoon. There are still s few without power where the tornado went through but they also have terrible damage to their house so they will be living elsewhere.

11. Wow, glad you guys are all ok 😲 Nature always seem to know ahead of us!!!

Thank you Jez. It was a very destructive storm and we were lucky our trees and our house escaped damage.

12. Diana says:

So thankful you and hubby are safe and no damage to your house or at the barn. It is no fun not having power but like you said we can make due. I’ve experienced being snowed in when we lived in our local mountains. We were without power for about as long as you. Your flowers are beautiful!! Give Biasini a big pat from us here when you see him again!

Yes it was a relief to know that the barn did not have serious damage. The barn manager contacted all the boarders to let us know it was ok and all horses were ok. We were lucky with out house too and all of our trees.

13. Michele Lee says:

Oh, my goodness! What a storm! Thank goodness you are safe. I have witnessed a few tornados – not too close, but close enough! It does appear the flowers knew something. 🌼

I think the flowers did know! Thanks for your comment Michele!

1. Michele Lee says:

Nature is a great teacher!

14. VJ says:

Contrasts in nature. That storm was something else

It sure was! Were you in it too?

1. VJ says:

It was mild where we were, but my daughter’s neighbourhood had a tornado in London.

I had not heard about London. Seems there were a few tornados with this storm.