Soaking wet!

When I saw that Tina had chosen ALL WET for this week’s Lens-Artists photo challenge I thought I would have to pass as I did not have any wet photos. But then I remembered. On July 22 , 2018 I went to a CDI3* (Concours Dressage International) to watch the Grand Prix competitors who were competing to try for a place, on the Canadian team, for the World Equestrian Games ,to be held in the autumn of 2018.

It was a frightful day. Lashing rain and torrential downpours that showed no mercy to horses or riders. All the riders would have been riding in the warm up arena for at least 30 minutes. They could have worn a jacket on top of their tailcoats for the warm up. But their legs would have been soaked, the rain dripping off the brim of their helmets, their saddles drenched and water trickling down into their tall boots. But if you want to qualify for WEG you ride on! The horses were wet and their tails bedraggled.

The horses had ear bonnets to keep the rain out of their ears. This rider is soaked to the skin and her saddle is also soaking wet. But at least she is now finished her test .

No one envied the gate keeper.

I was amazed that all the horses went out and did their best as did their riders.

Even the judges in their booths must have been damp.

My hat was off to all those riders and horses who carried on through this deluge.

1. JohnRH says:

That’s commitment! Nice photos.

2. Wow, that really looks miserable.

It was pretty horrendous actually. I was glad I wasn’t riding. Taking photos was enough of a challenge .

1. Yeah, I bet it was. I was thinking that you did a nice job of getting good photos in bad conditions.

I have a small raincoat from our dog and I put it onto my long lens. It;s a good fit and extends over the camera body as well. The lens is a 250-600 and I mount it on a monopod.

1. That raincoat hack is a brilliant idea.

The riders are obviously soaked! I wonder if the rain affects the horses’ performance as much as the humans?

The horses dont like rain in their ears and they all have the fly bonnets on so that is a big help. They will be checked by the steward after their test to make sure they do not have any noise cancelling ear puffs as those are not legal in dressage.

Who likes rain in their ears? Seems reasonable to me! lol

4. David says:

I believe it was 2015, the daughters were starting their season in Texas. All spring had been wet. The rain came in torrential downpours. Of course, there was plenty of flooding from the rain. The rain delays were numerous. Time came for the Grand Prix. Deborah and Tara rode in a steady drizzle. When it was Elizabeth’s turn, it began to rain more steadily. Halfway through her ride, it became more torrential … the rain was in sheets. Since no one had a clean round, the winner is the one with the fastest time. Elizabeth edged out Deborah for the win. Tara was fractionally behind Deborah. It was the first time the girls swept to a 1-2-3 finish. The girls had brought a change of clothes. Before they changed out of their wet clothing, they did a quick dry down of their horses.
    πŸ™‚

5. Great captures of ‘all wet’ .

Thank you I appreciate your coment.

1. You’re very welcome. I always enjoy reading your posts. My 48 year old daughter had several horses at her cattle station, they are her children 🐴🐎 πŸ™‚

6. Tina Schell says:

good for you Anne, you found the perfect response! I wonder tho, do the horses really mind the rain? My heart went out to the poor gatekeeper – at least the horses and riders had something to gain from putting their best foot forward!

I also felt bad for the gatekeeper.The rain was brutal and she was out there for a long time. Horses do not really like it much. If they are out in a paddock they just turn their backs to the wind and lower their heads. But in dressage they must have their heads up and I think the ear bonnets help to keep raindrops out of their ears which would upset them. Thanks for this challenge Tina!

1. Tina Schell says:

Ah, didnt think about the head up/down thing. Makes perfect sense

7. Leya says:

Well done – riders, horses and photographer!

8. We live in a rain forest region. I’ve always been amazed at the ability of little children to go outside during a rainy day and still enjoy their time outdoors. Here’s to all those folks in the wet.

I grew up on the wet part of the West Coast so rain was familiar to me . But most of these riders are from the dryer East so they did very well.

9. sandomina says:

Wow, beautiful beasts. I live next to a stud farm and find those horses so graceful.

They are wonderful creatures. Thank you for commenting.

10. Amy says:

Amazing performance in the rain!

From the photography point of view I had to put our little dog’s raincoat onto my long lens. It’s a big lens so the coat was a perfect fit and covered camera body and lens.