It’s Pretty But…

We arrived back from England last week. When I woke up, on our first morning back, I looked out the window and what did I see? SNOW! When I sat down to breakfast I looked out at the Mountain Ash its’ berries covered in snow.

Good Grief! It is only November !

But the best, or in my opinion the worst ,was yet to come. Yesterday, November 13, I looked at my phone and saw the outside temperature was -16 Celsius with a real feel of -20 Celsius. Minus 20!!!

The sun was shining and the snow was sparkling. Well, let me tell you when snow sparkles that means it is COLD OUTSIDE. I thought it would be lovely to take Biasini out for a hack in the snowy forest. But I knew that would be impossible. That kind of cold cuts through you like a knife. You need special clothing and boots for riding out in that kind of cold. I am not a complete wuss but I am already riding in a complete set of thermal underwear just to ride in the indoor arena!

So until it warms up no forest rides for us. Here is Biasini’s paddock. All the horses have been brought in earlier in the afternoon.

And here we have the picnic table at Oakcrest Farm. No takers for sitting outside this day.

I’m not a big fan of cold weather and this is record cold for this time of year and record snowfall as well . The weather people are telling us next week it will be warmer. By warmer they mean a degree or two above freezing. Positively balmy!! 🤣

If Biasini and I get out to the forest I will be sure to let you know.

1. kunstkitchen says:

Thanks for talking about riding in the snow. Yes, that’s too darn cold for riding. It’s been 9 years since I first rode in the snow. What fun that was. It was triple layers for me and ‘Toe Warmers’ in my boots.
    It was a great thrill to learn how to ride in the snow. Great memories. Stay warm.

It is fun to ride in the snow
      So far I have not got out in it as it went very icy and that was not good even with corks on his feet. But if we get more snow I may have another chance

1. kunstkitchen says:

It must be exhilarating for you to ride in the snow. My lesson horse was a 16 hands high Thoroughbred and he took good care of me in the snow. Unforgettable days. Enjoy.

Thank you . I will enjoy these days!

2. People like me not experiencing snowfall sometimes think snow is enjoyable by reading here I realized it’s worse side.

Snow is very pretty especially in the country where it stays nice a white and sparkly. In the cities it tends to get grubby. But it does involve a lot of work. We have a professional come and plough our driveway and also my husband has a snow blower machine that he uses to clear the pathways up to our entrance. He also clears a pathway out in the garden so our little dog can have a run around. She is small and the snow is deep for her. If your car is parked outside and it snows you have to turn the car on, and start the interior fans going, then get back out and brush off all the snow from the windows and the lights and the hood of the car. This is so you can see out and also on the hood the snow if you leave it will blow back onto the windscreen as you drive. So it is beautiful and in some ways a lot of fun but there is a good deal of work involved.

1. Ah! Snow takes lots of work. Yesterday I was telling about your post to my daughter ma’am. Today I will show this to her. Thank you for your response , many like me don’t know snow takes much of our time and work.

3. Yes, it hit hard here, as well.

Hope you can stay warm !

4. It is beautiful seeing this white blanket but that cold 🥶 definitely no 😊

5. Poor you with all that snow, but I would have given anything to have gone to England with you.

I thought of you often Susie when I was in England. If I could sprnkle some fairy dust and transport you to England I would do it.

1. Hubby is so needy now, and frail. I can dream.

6. Robyn says:

Holy cow, that is a lot of snow and a lot of cold! Stay warm!

I’ll trade you for the desert! 🤣

7. Alli Farkas says:

Same situation here in SW Michigan. I rode indoors yesterday, bundled up like the abominable snowman. Charm was upset by snow that had blown in under the back door of the arena. She also gave the evil eye to two carriages that were temporarily parked in the ring on an emergency basis. Lots of snorts and blows. However, her excitement made her light and forward and lucky for me she was of a mind to pay attention amid all the distraction and we got some really nice stuff done!

Snow coming in under a door is just Not Right!! Biasini has been very good but two carriages in his sacred arena would have been a real trial for him. The cold does produce some energy and nice rides too.

I cant imagine what minus 20 C feels like!!! Stay in doors!

I have to dress up like the Michelin Man and get outside . Minus 20 is interesting as clothing such as goretex fabric starts to crinkle like plastic. That actually kicks in at -15 C.

Oh DEAR!!! That’s freezing cold that I can’t even imagine! YIKES!! Pretty to look at, but I wouldn’t call you a wuss, I’d say your a smart cookie!! Give Biasini a carrot for me and welcome home! Lol 😀

It is pretty cold. Today it is milder and only -1Celius. Canadian winter!

10. I don’t think if my brains cells or any cells would survive in this weather but pictures look beautiful.

It is very beautiful especially in the counrty where the snow stays clean , white and sparkling. In the city it gets grubby pretty fast.

1. oh yes. that’s the beauty of it.

It has been very cold here, very early, also. We tied a record low on Tuesday morning of 2 degrees Fahrenheit.

That is cold. I think there is a lot of the North Eastern US that has been hit by the same cold blast.

12. Avery says:

wowza! It sure it pretty to look at though! Heck I have been cold all day for several days down here. I won’t tell you how ‘cold’ it is though, might make you cross!

13. Elaine says:

Oh Gosh! That’s more than enough snow! Meanwhile, here in leafy Leicestershire, UK, where I live, we’ve got more than enough rain! Floods everywhere! People having to flee their homes 😦 it’s heartbreaking to see.
    Hoping you and Biasini stay safe and well. X

I have seen the reports of the flooding in the UK. That is desperate. That and in Australia the disasterous fires. The snow and cold is notihing compared to floods and wildfires.

14. I hope it is not a sign of the Winter that is in store.

Well this year the Mountain Ash have had a superabundance of berries. Not just ours but all in this part of the world. I think that the indigenous people might say that predicts a hard winter.