Tell your inner demons to just shut up!

We are a species who thinks we can control outcome. We like to focus on what’s wrong , immerse in those problems, and then make them right. Even with good intentions, it’s a negative approach. But if I could give riders a gift, it would be a suspension of disbelief.

Disbelief is the sarcastic voice in you head that says,”Who do you think you are? You aren’t good enough, you don’t deserve what you want.” Suspension of disbelief is a cue to your inner demons to just shut up; a half-halt to give a chance to prove to ourselves that we are enough–until we believe it.

Oneness is not a destination you can chase down. It’s something your horse has already but you have to quiet your thoughts and actions enough to notice and then claim for yourself.

Anna Blake in her book “Going Steady”

When I read those words a few days ago they leapt off the page and into my head. I am heading to a competition this weekend that will be a big challenge for me. I am looking forward to it and now, leading up to it, I will tell my demons to just shut up! I will give myself a suspension of disbelief.

How many sports, jobs, challenges in life and relationships can this quote apply to? I think many.

1. Thank you for the inspiration.

2. Anna Blake says:

Have a great show, listen to the voices who are on your side! Thanks, Anne.

Thank you Anna. I have told the other voices to “shutup” and I have had to do it a few times yesterday. But it works! The good voices are getting stronger.

I Love Anna’s approach and writings. She is able to convey I think how our horses think and how we need to get out of our heads. What a wonderful quote, I need to buy her new book! And I agree, I get the dread its sometimes when facing a difficult task at work, those darn inner demons. These words could apply to many things, to tell our inner voice or demons to shut up is good advice. Sorry for the wordy response, but then that’s me! Lol 😀
    Good luck this weekend, I know you and your partner will do GREAT! ♥️🐴😉

No need to apologize for a lengthy response Diana. I also love Anna’s connection to horses and the way she has of expressing it. We all have demons and I love the idea of telling mine to shut up. Thank you for your good wishes .

4. Claire M says:

Thank you and best of luck!

5. I like your article and philosophy
    And catchy title! 😀

Yes, tune in to positive thoughts. Go for it!

Thank you Sandy!😄

7. I love this words, Anne. It gave me another thought for not giving up about what I dream about. Thanks for sharing it with me. And all the best for the race..

Good. I’m so glad it inspired you to keep on with your dream.

8. Avery says:

Ya! Good on you and good luck to you and B!

9. So hard to do, but have made alot of progress on this in the last few years. Laura

That is good to hear Laura. I will be doing my best with it . Thanks for commenting.

10. Go for it Anne! Good luck 😉

11. Donna Zabukovec says:

Good Luck this weekend

Well you are not alone!🙂