Detail: Lens-Artist Photo Challenge #54

Success is the sum of details.

Harvey S. Firestone

This week’s challenge is “detail”. Here is my response.

The last minute adjustments before going into the competition arena. The horse brushing boots being removed, the competition tailcoat held ready to put on, riders gloves taken off to ease the putting on of the jacket. a drink of water for the rider if needed and sugar cubes for the horse are all important details.
For the Medieval Knight even the spurs and stirrups had decorative detail.
Dressage braids for competition. Attention to detail is important to make the braids look neat and to make the horse look his best.
Percheron horses in competition at the Royal Winter Fair. Details such as matching the color of the braid decorations with the accents on the harness give a perfect look to these handsome horses.
The Drum horse must have sparkling clean white leg feathers. Someone has carefully gone over every part of those legs. That is attention to detail!

1. Yes, all those details make for a beautiful presentation.

2. Leya says:

Many interesting and beautiful details, Anne! And now I have learned something new things again – thank you. I agree about the braids – they always look so elaborate, and now I know something about how much time and effort put into it as well. Wonderful photos!

3. pattimoed says:

Hi, Anne. Fascinating details from dressage and beautiful images. I love those braids in particular. I wish my hair was long enough for them!

Thank you for commenting Patti. I often think that it may be similar to having corn braids put in human hair and may not be too comfortable but the horses do not seem to mind.

1. pattimoed says:

They could pinch if they’re too tight, but the horses seem to revel in looking handsome!

I agree. I think my horse certainly knows that being braided means he is going to be able to show off in the show ring!๐Ÿ˜„

4. Tina Schell says:

Wonderful details Anne. I especially loved the two close-ups of the horsesโ€™ manes. Amazing. How long do you think something like that takes??

I’m not sure but I would think at least an hour. They do it in two stages first braiding in colored ribbons and then attaching the decorative pieces. One person holds the horse and the other person sits on top of the horse as they are so tall they cannot be reached from.the ground without a ladder.

1. Tina Schell says:

Quite a production!

5. Amy says:

Iโ€™m in awe with these details! Beautifully done. These horses must be very patient. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Amy! I appreciate this comment from you. The Percherons have a quieter temperament than the sport horses do. And they know their job when they are in the show ring!

Great details, Anne!

7. The Knight’s stirrups, boots and spurs are really cool!

They are in the Wallace House collection in London. They have two sets of armour for both horse and rider as well as lots of other bits and pieces of Medieval armour. It is fascinating. Thanks for commenting.

8. map195 says:

awsome post…anne wonderful

9. Sandra J says:

Wonderful photos, for the love of horses. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for taking the time to comment Sandra.

1. Sandra J says:

You are welcome, I used to raise draft horses, I enjoy looking at your photos.

I have always had a soft spot for the heavy horses. I love going to the Royal Winter Fair and taking photos of the big horses . It is possible to go to the stabling area and see them being groomed and braided. And then the cacophany of their huge hooves clattering as they move off,over the cement floor, into the holding ring before their class. For the six horse hitch it is really something.