Today I am 70 years old. The world may have changed a great deal since 1949 but over my 70 years there are some things that were true then and I believe are still true now.
- Education matters. If you are a young person all the doors of opportunity are open ahead of you. But if you drop out of school 80% of those doors will slam shut. It is OK for Bruce Springsteen to say he hated school but most of us do not grow up to be rock stars. So if you hate school, work harder, and if you need help then ask for it. If you love school, work harder, and keep going as long as you can up the ladder of education.
- Be Brave. “Don’t be scared to take big steps….you can’t cross a chasm in two small jumps.” David Lloyd George When an opportunity presents itself to you it is important to step up and go for it. You need to be brave. There is nothing worse that ending up in elders’ home saying: “If only I had…….”
- Learn to be alone. There are many times in life when it is important to stand on your own two feet and stand your ground. It can be a lonely position but it is sometimes the best one. “I decided I was a very stupid fool not to at least paint as I wanted to. That seemed to be the only thing I could do that didn’t concern anybody but myself.” Georgia O’Keeffe
- Plan Ahead. “If you don’t know where you are going you will end up somewhere else.” Yogi Berra. You cannot always plan out your entire life and sometimes planning, even for the week ahead, is a challenge. But having the bigger picture in mind is important. It is worth remembering that. Otherwise, you will indeed ‘end up somewhere else.’
- Every horse has a gift to give you. I had to include something about horses and this is something I believe is very important. Every horse you have contact with is important in that they all have something to give you, something you can learn from them. Sometimes you may not have the horse you want but it may be the horse you need.
So there you have it. June 9 1949 to June 9 2019 is the span in which I have come to believe that the things I have listed are true and important.
And finally I would like to leave you with the words of Tim McGraw: “Always be humble and kind.” My Birthday Present to you is this wonderful video. Magic!
I’d love to hear from you!