Back in the Day.All lined up!

As some of you may know I have been spending a few days in the hospital after an emergency situation. Nothing to do with riding horses! Just an intestinal blockage caused by scar tissue from an old cancer surgery. The first 12 hours in the ER were pretty hairy but since then my body seems to be sorting itself out and today ( Sunday June 2) I have been started back on real food. During my time in the hospital I have had the chance to wander the hallways. Here I found some wonderful old photos all lined up on the walls. The photos are all of the local area of Markham and Stouffville where I live. And in those photos, taken between 1888 and 1903, what did I see…horses. These were the days when horses spent much of their time all lined up and ready to work.

Waiting at the rail road station for passengers .

Waiting to collect milk urns.

Lined up in the traffic of the Stouffville market day.

Lined up waiting to help with the farm work.

In the winter they lined up to pull sleighs over the snowy roads.

Little girls had ponies that lined up while they had their photo taken.

The corner store was a meeting place.

The dairy van did the rounds pulled by a horse.

And here is one of the hospital hallway where these wonderful old photos were all lined up.

This is my second entry into the “all lined up” photo challenge. It has been fun taking photos of the photos. Sadly none of them have credits or are signed in any way so I cannot pay tribute to the original photographers.

But thank you to Judy Dykstra-Brown of Lifelessons for this entertaining photo challenge and forgive me for entering a second bunch of lined up photos.

1. Hope you heal well and recover quickly, Anne. That’s quite a collection of old photos recording the crucial part horses played in every day life back then. How fortunate mankind has been to have their service and loyalty.

I am home and getting back to normal but having to observe a very strict low to no fiber diet. Thank you for your good wishes.

2. nelkumi says:

Sending hugs and love!

3. Alli Farkas says:

Every time I see old photos of horses working in citified surroundings I’m reminded of the last working horse I saw in my neighborhood when I lived in St. Louis. It’s not like I’m ancient or anything (LOL) but more like the person who used this horse to pull the wagon that delivered the daily newspaper went way beyond everyone else’s idea of what a horse should be doing in the modern world. This horse and wagon combination were working the neighborhood streets in the late 50’s and early 60’s. It was kind of neat because you could always hear when your paper was about to arrive.

4. Take care. Rest and get well soon.

5. These are not only photos they say history. Thank you for this wonderful share and teaching us to take any situation easy.

Sorry to hear you are in the hospital, I wish you a speedy recovery (and your husband’s eye). I love looking at old photos, as much for the horses and buildings but also fashions (like the facial hair on the men).

Yes and their hats! There were also photos of the women preparing the dinner for the men doing a barn raising and they all seemed to be wearing white and with lovely hats as well.

7. lifelessons says:

What are the chances that you’d end up in a hospital with horses lining the walls? I’d say synchronicity played a big part in rewarding you for your ordeal. These photos really brought across to me what a huge part horses once played in our lives. This only makes sense, but still, seeing “busy hour” pre-auto really brings the point across. Thanks for sharing these photos. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your good wishes Judy.You had the same thought at I did seeing these photos. Horses working used to be a huge part of our lives. Now there are working equines in the developing world but for us horses are for sport only.

1. lifelessons says:

Wonder which they would prefer, given their “druthers.”

I think they don’t mind as long as they feel they are appreciated whether it is sport or work.

8. I’m glad you’re ok! You are so cute finding these pics and sharing them with us, you really are a horse addict! xoxo

Yes I am
      Thanks for the comment

9. Frank Prem says:

Great pics, Anne. Take care.

10. Donna Zabukovec says:

Hope your feeling better soon

11. map195 says:

prayer’s for your good health…i hope you will get well soon

12. Hope you are beginning to heal. I love the photographs. Even then the roads in town were crowded!

13. I hope your recovery is speedy, and how nice that the hospital would have all these interesting old photos with horses.