Horses in Armour.

I am currently in London and getting a good education in arms and armouries on a tour organized by tour leader Caroline Stanley. Today our small group our small group went to the Wallace Collection and had an introduction to the arms collection there by Keith Dowan who is the Assistant Curator  of the Royal Armouries. I have to apologize but since this tour is jam packed and has us tooting around both daytime and evening I cannot give you a proper post at the moment. But  here are some photos ….

Wallace (5 of 50)

Wallace (41 of 50)

Wallace (22 of 50)

Wallace (23 of 50)

Wallace (17 of 50)

Wallace (7 of 50)

In a day or two when I have some more time I will fill you in on that fascinating information about the arms and armour shown in these photos. Now I’ve got to run as we are having diner at the Armourers and Brasiers’ Company in the City of London.

The Wallace Collection is in Hertford House, Manchester Square, London W1U 3BN

1. Your posts fulfill my day by always providing something new, thank you ma’am.

It is my pleasure . So glad you enjoy.

2. Excellent photos. And the museum folks have done a great job with the poses for their figures, they look ready to spring into action.

3. Nidhi says:

Lovely images 🎊💐

4. Miss A says:

Horses – the true warriors 💕

Yes Miss A you are right they are! We were told that the knights most valuable asset was his horse.

I wonder whether he horse armour was much good at protecting the horses?

It could protect head,neck upper body and flanks but the legs were still vulnerable.

6. As evening sets on the castle…good night…or should I say “good knight.”

7. Laleh Chini says:

Beautiful adventure dear ❤️

Yes it is. Thank you Laleh.

8. Yikes! Don’t they get sweaty doing horse-things while wearing such stuff? And how about the armour itself, does it rust due to horsey-sweat?
    Maybe your future post on the fascinating information you learned while on the tour will answer those questions?
    Enjoy the Old Country, Anne!

The expert who took us through the collection did answer those questions
      Yeah both horse and rider did sweat but it did not cause rust on that steel. The worst part of the sweating was for the riders inside the helmets.

I asked our expert this morning about sweat and he said that all the armour was padded with fabric so that absorbed sweat

1. Thank you!!! Can’t think the guys smelled too good after a day of jousting in armour (!)
        IMHO: Horses always smell lovely – you know, earthy!

I think in those days there were a lot of pungent smells. There was not much bathing no flush toilets etc. So for them it would be normal.

I’ll look forward to your next writing when you have the time! Someday I’d love to visit London. My daughter said she would take me there maybe next year! 😀

It’s a fascinating city.

Beautiful photos!! ❤️

Thanks Diana. I learned a lot but don’t have the time to write about it while we are on the tour.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )