If I Were a Tree What Tree Would I Be?

I go to the gym on a regular basis, usually three or four days a week in the morning before I ride. This week I have some medical appointments and procedures; just routine checking up stuff. If you have a chequered health history as I do I am grateful that the medical profession and our health care system see fit to keep and eye on me and make sure everything is as it should be. The gym has a nice large windowed room that overlooks a park, and I do my stretching there after my workout. I started to look at the trees. Perhaps because I am in a medical review season I started to wonder which tree would represent me. Which tree would I be?

This one is just a youngster so that would not be me.

IMG_20180625_1331555

This one is very attractive and a bit more mature but still not as advanced in age as me.

IMG_20180625_1332477

Then my eye fell on this one. This has seen some tough winters and some gale force winds. It has stood there for many years and parts of this old tree are not doing  well at all.   I may be older but all my working  parts are still working pretty well. Surprisingly I do not suffer too many aches and pains and I am able to be very active. This tree is not me either.

IMG_20180625_1334341

Then I found the tree I could relate to. This conifer is an evergreen that has stood through many winters and survived. It is a bit unique in that it has three trunks. That’s not  exactly the usual form. It may not be blazingly robust but it is in pretty good shape overall. This tree is me. I don’t have three trunks but I do have some replaced body parts and a few oddities and I have certainly survived a number of “winters”. So this is the tree that I would say is the closest to me. This tree reminds me of a quote of W.B.Yeats. “I am of a healthy long lived race, and our minds improve with age.”

IMG_20180625_1333554

Which tree would you be?  Leave me a comment!

1. Very unique way of writing. I love it. I like the methodical way you used to decide what tree you would be. I do not know what tree I would be. Probably I need to figure myself out first. I love trees by the way.😀

Thank you for this comment. I think you will figure it out. Just keep looking a trees!

2. Weeping Willow! that’s what I would be 🙂

There is an enchanting quality to the weeping willows.

1. I find them very peaceful, that’s what I love about them 🙂

3. doar nicole says:

I like all trees, and I think I’d be like more types, but the ones I love are the slim types, quite tall, like the maple or the hornbeam. What I like about them is that their leaves turn to beautiful reds or yellows in late summer and autumn. Very nice post! 🙂

i too love the autumn colors. Thank you for commenting Nicole.

4. Olivia May says:

I only know that if I have a 2nd life, I would like to be a tree.

Well that would be interesting! I have never thought of being a tree in my next life. Thanks for your comment and this idea!

5. Wow what a different and fabulous read!
    Out of interest which exercises do you find benefits your riding?
    I think I would be a monkey puzzle tree, slow to grow, relatively rare and ever rather awkward.

I do work in the gym with some machines and free weights for arms, upper back, sacrum, hips and lower legs. I follow this with stretching for back, hips and arms. Usually I will split it up to upper body work one day and lower the next. I know that Pilates and yoga are good for riders but I prefer the gym workouts. I have worked with trainers to develop exercises that address my issues (both hips replaced and a curvature of the spine) so that’s what works for me. I also do treadmill or elliptical for cardio. A Monkey Puzzle tree! Fabulous! I love those trees. We do not have many here in Ontario but I have seen them in England. I am always fascinated by them. Thanks for your comment and great choice of tree!😃

1. Wow I had no idea about your hips! Amazing! I too just do free weights etc but really need to work on my core. I have thought about taking up yoga for this but maybe I shall just keep on ‘planking’ haha 😀

Beech tree – they make lovely woods along side streams and their leaves go a beautiful copper colour in autumn.

Yes they are a lovely color and they can live a long life as well.

7. I know for sure I’m maple 🍁. Bcz it’s my astrological tree & also I always see it when mediating ✌️ your chosen tree looks wise lol

Maple! that’s the Canadian national tree. Of course there are many different maples but all are nice. Thanks for entering into the tree discussion Ray!

1. 💕💕💕😀

8. I guess I would be the first one because it kind of fulfills the criteria of my age. But I would aspire to be the second one known and we’ll familier with strong winds and stroms. But it’s good to relate yourself with a tree while gyming 😁, I would call this out of the box thing.

Thanks for commenting! It is an interesting thing to think about when stretching after mu gym workouts. Glad you enjoyed it.

9. I would be a coconut tree. They are cute looking Haha.

Good choice Vikram! If I lived in a climate where there were coconut trees I might pick that too!

10. And what a tree are you! Strong resilience beautiful!

Thanks for this wonderful comment!😃😃😃

11. Frank Prem says:

A big old eucalypt, Anne. Lots of dead bits, good heart and plenty still growing.

Of course. If I was an Aussie I would choose the same.

12. Love this post and the Yeats’ quote and would like to believe that my mind will continue to improve with age. I do identify with evergreens, staying verdant despite the season, anthropomorphically lending that to some kind of inner spirit so survive. They have the ability to sway majestically through turmoil.

Yes. When I chose the evergreen I thougth of the harshness of winters and how that is sometimes how things are in our lives. Thank you for this thoughtful comment.

13. Laura says:

While my body’s age isn’t considered young, I live with an ageless mind so I relate to the red maple. I am healthy and strong and have been through many life situations, but have come through a better, more resilient person, with the energy and tenacity to experience more. 🙂

Excellent! That is a wonderful comparison of yoru lilfe to that colorful and healthy tree! Thanks for commenting.

14. A giant cedar–lasting power and resiliency enough to become strong through the storms!!

Love this, Anne! I’d say my tree is similar to yours…a few storms weathered, a bang and bruise or two, but still standing…and hoping to acquire a few more rings.

Amen to that Sandy! Grow on!

16. Judy says:

I’ve always been partial to pine trees and willows. I’m not sure either is really me, though I think of the two the pine fits best.

Pines are strong and long lived trees. Thewillow is beautiful but perhaps not so long lived. Slo both have their attributes. Thanks fo commenting.

17. Nandini Jain says:

I would like to be a Pine Tree! 😁

Good choice. They are handsome trees and long lived. Thanks for commenting.

18. txjessy says:

I’m not sure what tree I’d be! I’d like to be a big mature tree that gives alot of shade. Not because I’m ‘shady’, lol just some one where people can find words of wisdom and can recollect themselves before they head back to the hear.

that is a lovely idea. There is so much comfort from the shade of a big tree on a hot day. Comfort from the lower temperature and the atmosphere of timelessness that seeps out from those big trees.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w