I am in the Labyrinth.

I have a competition coming up in a couple of weeks. I am on that journey toward going down the centerline and saluting the judge seated at C. At the moment, the analogy for my life is the classical labyrinth.

While I was in England I walked to the center of a classical labyrinth that is in the walled garden at Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire. This classical labyrinth has seven coils that are laid out in the walled garden  with box hedging on turf.  In the ancient world the number seven  represented the seven visible heavenly bodies that move across the stars. In medieval times it was imagined that each of these had its own shell or sphere around the earth. So walking the  seven coil labyrinth was a journey to earth via these seven heavenly bodies. This traditional labyrinth offers the user no choices, the  path simply delivers the walker to the center  in a certain way. Unlike a  maze there are no choices of direction to be made.IMG_20180606_1459217

So I went  into the labyrinth and walked around the larger circles on the outside. I felt I was getting close to the center. I thought I was almost there. But no…the  labyrinth is not just simple circles that spiral inwards. It changes direction. So I found I was now headed back toward the outside. Then…another turn and there I was at the entrance to the center.

Why is preparing for my upcoming show like a journey to the center of a labyrinth? It is a journey. I know the test that I will be riding. I have competed at this level during the winter in Florida. I have started back,after being on holiday, with lessons from my coach Belinda Trussell. Today we worked on the trot and exercises that will prepare Biasini and me for the movements of the test. I am walking around the large circular path on the outside. In our next lesson we may work on canter and exercises to prepare for the test movements. I am still on the  larger circular paths.  Next week we will start to work on some of the movements from the test. I am on a path closer to the center now. But there will be times, like the one that happened in my lesson today where I loose focus. I was doing a small circle just to change direction in the arena. “That’s a terrible circle,” Belinda shouted. “You were doing beautifully and then it all fell apart on that circle.”  Truth be told I had just wandered off in my mind for about 5 seconds and was not riding Every…Single….Stride! I realize I am not arriving at the center and the  path is leading me back toward the outside of the labyrinth.  I admitted to Belinda that I had a mental lapse and then I got my act together.  We then achieved some very good work. That sort of thing will continue to happen, good moments, not so good moments and wonderful brilliant moments.  In about two and a half weeks it will be Biasini and me going down that centerline to show the judge our test.  I have arrived at the center of the labyrinth.

1. Jeff Rab says:

Belinda cuts you no slack! 😀🐴

No she does not and she has little respect for my advanced age as her own coach, seven time Olympian Christilot Boylen is over 70!

1. Jeff Rab says:

Wow! What an honor to work with such an experienced, knowledgeable champion!

Indeed. I get to watch Belinda’s lessons sometimes which is very interesting. Belinda herself is a two time Olympian ( Athens and Rio) . I am very fortunate!

3. Jeff Rab says:

Iron sharpens iron! Hope the next contest and show goes Olympic gold for you and Biasini!

2. Avery says:

I love this analogy. I have always had a fascination with labyrinths and have wanted to build one. Riding, like life, has its moments as we all know.

Yes life does take us on some roundabout pathways to get to our destinations! I’m glad you liked this ‘labyrinth’ Avery.

3. Alli Farkas says:

There is an enormous lavender labyrinth here in western Michigan. It should be in full bloom any day now, and while I have never been there I am determined to get there this year. It takes about an hour to wend your way to the center!

That would be wonderful. If the lavender was in bloom there would be the calming effect of the scent as you wound through the pathways. I hope you will post about your visit. The Grimsthorpe one is smaller but still and interesting process. Thanks Alli for this comment.

I had no idea that a labyrinth and a maze were different. The life as an artist is very much like your description of the labyrinth but sometimes it’s like a maze too!

I didn’t know they were different either! The labyrinth at Grimsthorpe is the first time I have seen one and I learned of the history and meaning through a little guide pamphlet they have on the things that are in the walled garden. It used to be the kitchen garden and now has several carved stone exhibits as part of the “Lettering Arts Trust” .

5. rugby843 says:

Very interesting….good luck to you!

Thank you I appreciate your good wishes.

6. Nilzeitung says:

Glückwunsch,, die Richtung in der Arena zu ändern liegt in deinem Hand, gilt auch für Biasini gute Momente, in Sekundentakt kann sehr erfolgreich-sein nicht so gute Momente gibt es auch wo anders nicht schlemm und wundervolle brillante Momente wieder zusehen .

7. Frank Prem says:

Good luck, Anne.

Thank you for the reblog Danny!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )