The Royal Horse Show

1,000 competitors, $950,000 in prize money, and the title of “Royal Champion” at North America’s #1 indoor equestrian event that includes Canada’s largest variety of breeds and events.  That is “the Royal.” It is an annual event not to be missed in Toronto.  Here are some photos from the day I spent there on Nov. 10, 2017

The main arena, in the afternoon, was devoted to the finals of the dairy cow competitions. Here was the final line up of Grand Champions. These cows are meticulously groomed and the hair above their ribs are clipped close so the judge can see that they have a good and even spread of rib.

IMG_1252

And let me tell you this is not silent and somber affair. Queen and “We are the Champions” was blaring at volume 10 in the arena and the audience clapping in time to the song. When the winner, the Grand Champion, was announced the full house roared and applauded. And I also learned that afternoon that I was looking at millions of dollars worth of dairy cows. Millions! And there were people from 36 countries there to see them and watch the competition.

In the evening I watched the Royal Horse Show. The opening event was the Welsh Pleasure Driving, Ladies competition. This lady was in the ribbons but not the winner. But she was the winner for me.  She is 83 years old and when she lost her number one competition pony she just pulled this one out of a field and got him into trim for competition and qualified for the Royal and here she is  driving him at the final.

eddo-1267

Next was the Roadster Pony.

eddo-1290

From pony to the Big Boys….the Percheron six horse hitch.

eddo-1336

And in case you need some perspective on how big they are ….

eddo-1366

Then came the Green Meadows coaching and the beautiful antique carriages, and matched carriage horses. The horses and carriages go round the arena one way and then, on the Ring Master’s command, they change direction across the ring and go in the other direction before lining up in the center of the ring to be inspected by the judge. The  judging looks at the horses, the carriage and also opens up the back of the carriage to see if they have suitable picnic fare for their passengers as well as equipment in case of a breakdown.

eddo-1409

rwf2017-1415

eddo-1410

For me the chance to see the carriage horses, the heavy horses, and the ponies is something I cannot see anywhere else. An added bonus is that you can walk through the stabling  area and see all of these horse up close!  I will be doing another post dedicated to the Percheron Six Horse Hitch soon.

Lots of shiny hooves, I notice. All looking their best!

Yes! The work of the grooms is amazing. And the horses know they look good too!

2. Thanks for sharing this. I love the photos, and write up.

You are most welcome Susie.

What a fabulous show. Big, small and in-between. And getting an up
    close look in the stables would be the best part!

It is.you can watch them braiding the heavy horse and getting the harness on. And as it is an agricultural fair there is also a biggest pumpkin competition and veggie competitions and pies and jams and butter sculpture. Something for everyone. Thanks for your enthusiastic comment!

You are welcome, Anne.

4. Robyn says:

Looks really cool! All the different horses and events – very entertaining!

It really is a lot of fun and something different especially considering it takes place in the middle of the city of Toronto in what is normally a convention center and the arena is usually a hockey rink. The stabling area, known as the Horse Palace, has been used since 1931. The stalls are big and the aisleways wide and are on two stories.

1. Robyn says:

Wow – sounds realy neat!

5. Great photos, the livestock and horses looked so healthy 😊

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. The animals are all so well looked after and in such good condition!

6. (HorseLover4Ever) Elizabeth says:

Thanks for sharing with us–looks like FUN to watch!!! 🙂

I’m happy to share the photos and you’re right it is lots of fun! Thanks for your comment.

7. Very cool! We went to the annual horse show in Kansas City, MO several years! Definitely a highlight for me!

It is wonderful isn’t it! Thanks for telling me that. I’ve never been to Kansas.

1. That’s where I fell in love with Clydesdale’s! They’re pretty cool on the commercials but even more magnificent in person

Oh yes they are. So massive and with such big hearts!

8. Katrin says:

this is so cool! About the horses and the cows! dairy cows of that high caliber, I can only imagine. Sounds like it is an awesome event

It is great fun and so much to see that is certainly not one my regular roster.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )