Churchill was not the only famous Winston.

Queen Elizabeth has died and in her honor I would like to reblog this post. She loved horses.  The one featured in this post was one of her favorites.

HorseAddict

I recently got an interesting comment from Susan who had read my blog post “The Day I met a Cavalry Black”. In this post I had called the horse Winston. I had just made this up to be honest, as I felt he was such a nice fellow I should give him a name. But Susan told me the Queen had ridden a horse called Winston. He was a Chestnut gelding and King George VI had ridden him in the Trooping of the Color in 1947 and the Queen rode him in the Trooping from 1949 to 1956.

image Guards Magazine

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Winston.

Winston, whose sire was Erehwemos, was foaled in Yorkshire in 1937. In 1944 he was sold to the Mounted Branch of theMetropolitan Police Service.[1]Although named afterWinston Churchill, the letter “W” was used to name…

View original post 321 more words

1. cigarman501 says:

Thanks for your insight and history. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for this comment.

The Queen always loved her animals, horses and dogs in particular. I wonder whether King Charles will do the trooping of the colour on horse-back? I know he used to play polo back in the day, which requires a lot of horse(wo)manship, but I dont know if he’d want to ride these days.

I don’t know either. I had an Uncle who was an equerry to the Queen and rode behind her in the Trooping. He went on doing it after he retired because he told me none of the younger officers knew.how to ride!

Possibly Charles COULD do it as he rides but maybe he feels he’s too old these days?

We’ll have to wait and see……

3. cagedunn says:

Winston, whose sire was Erehwemos — reverse the sire’s name, and somewhere sired Winston.

4. A wonderful tribute, Anne. What a cool shot of the Queen riding the horse. May she rest in peace.

5. I’m so sorry to hear of her passing. I’ve been learning a bit about her life and she’s such an amazing person! She’ll be greatly missed 🙂

She will be missed..she devoted her life to duty and that is a rare thing.

1. We could definitely use more people like her in this world 🙂

6. Vicky Earle says:

What thoughtful piece to repost.
    It was good to know that Her Majesty the Queen was a lover of horses.
    Horses everywhere have lost a good person who was on their side!

I agree Vicky 💯