The Road Home!

On Saturday April 9 we set off toward home. We do the trip over three days and stay two nights in hotels. It was a nice day for driving. We headed north on the Interstate 95 and listened to the Masters Golf on Sirius XM radio. Scenes of Florida greenery passed by the window.

Later we stopped for lunch on a small dirt road. We had brought sandwiches. I took our little dog for a walk down the dirt road. I saw a large tree with the most Spanish Moss I have ever seen on a tree.

We drove on to Columbia South Carolina where we stayed for the night. The next day we got off to an early start. My travel mascot George the Horse was enjoying the ride I think. Here is a short video of him listening to some Bluegrass music!

We could see that spring was arriving with lots of dogwood trees in bloom. But the farther north we drove we saw less and less green. Once we were in West Virginia we were winding through mountains and some impressive tunnels.

In some respects the tunnels are a metaphor for life. We need to know there is light at the end of that tunnel! And some tunnels seem endless. But at the end you are out in the light again.

There are some big rigs on their way to somewhere. I know they are driven by professionals but I always want to move on and get past them.

Some all terrain vehicles were getting a ride on a trailer.

There were some steep descents as the road twisted and turned through the mountains.

These terraces look amazing

We had some snacks along the way. Yes, I know they are not the healthiest choices. I eat the pork skins and my husband has the beef jerky!

We arrived safely home on April 11 by late afternoon. There are snow flurries forecast over the weekend!

1. J.W.S. says:

I had the spirit to sing “On The Road Again” plus I love the pony on the car window!

Haha! That wouled be the perfect song. George sits in the cup holder most days but on longer trips we have our drinks there so he sits up on th dash and looks out.

2. Lesley says:

That tunnel seemed endless – I was relieved when the light appeared and that was only viewing it on film! George seems very laid back. 😀

Yes it does seem endless. Can you imagine actually being in it with all that mountain on top of you? It is pretty amazing. George is a pretty laid back guy. He has travelled a lot and he’s pretty cool with it all. Thanks for commenting Lesley!

You must get a real sense of the places you pass through. I assume you drive rather than fly so that you can take plenty of stuff (and dog of course) with you to Florida.

Yes we can take our little dog and more stuff . We have a Thule carrier on top of the car. We are away for almost 4 months so we need quite a bit of stuff. Also it gives us a car when we are there. Having a car in Wellington is essential for everything.

I didn’t realise you were away as long as that – yes, you would need more than a couple of suitcases!

Yes even with resricting the clothing we bring there is still a lot.Also things like my tall boots for riding take a lot of room and skillfull manoueveing to get them into the car.

4. de Wets Wild says:

What a wonderful roadtrip, and you can’t do a roadtrip right without snacks!

Yes! Snacks are essential🙂

5. VJ says:

Came back just a smidge too soon. Glad you’re home safe.

Haha! Yes. I had dentist and doctor’s appointments so had to be home.

6. Laura says:

Very nice travel photos, leaving behind warm temps to spring still trying to appear on winter’s tail at home, stay warm, I’m sure you miss Biasini.

Tbanks for commenting!Biasini will leave Monday and be here Tuesday.