Monday Minstrel: Trigger and Roy Rogers.

When I was a kid Roy Rogers and his horse Trigger were my favourites. I used to watch them on tv . Trigger made his name in films in the 1940s and 1950s and later several TV series with his owner Roy Rogers. Trigger learned more than a hundred cues for assorted tricks and could walk on his hind legs, sit in a chair, sign his name with an X, lie down on cue and cover himself with a blanket. Roy Rogers’ handprints and Trigger’s hoof prints are preserved on the pavement outside Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

Roy Rogers and Trigger . Photo from The Horse Book by Kathleen Walker-Miekle

1. iammrsshecky says:

I remember them and Dale Evans. They have a museum here in So. Cal. I watched them relentlessly.

I LOVED Trigger as a child!

3. Tina Schell says:

Oh my goodness Anne, I LOOOVVVED Roy Rogers!!!! I so wanted to be Dale Evans! For Christmas one year all I wanted was a cowgirl outfit. Imagine my dismay when I opened my gift and received an indian outfit!!! Little did I know at that point that Native Americans were the good guys too. Anyway, hopefully my parents never saw the disappointment and it’s become a fond memory about expectations and loving the gift because of loving the giver. Anyway, I got a bit off track there. Trigger was AWESOME but I had no idea he had so many talents. You learn something new every day 😊 so thanks for that!

Thanks for this wonderful comment Tina.

2. David says:

It was all the glitter on Dale’s outfit that caught your eye. Did you wear your outfit? Girls can look awfully cute wearing buckskins. It’s those buckskin boots that make the outfit. 🙂 🙂 🙂

I liked Dale Evans too but never really noticed her outfit. Hmmm….

4. I’ve heard of Roy Rogers many times, but haven’t ever seen any of his shows. But I like the song (his theme song I think?) “Happy Trails” a lot. Sounds like Trigger was very clever indeed.

Roy Rogers was an entertainer in a simpler time I think. Now people would want more special effects and more drama. His tv show was a straightforward western . Tigger was the real star for me!

5. J.W.S. says:

I too watched this show as a child. I also recall the dog, Bullet.

Ah yes Bullet. I remember that dog. Thanks for commenting.

I watched that show every Saturday morning….one of my favorites, also!

That is great! Good to know you were a fan too.

7. Goff James says:

Ah, such memories!

1. Goff James says:

Cheers. Happy Tuesday.

Thanks. Same to you.🙂

1. Goff James says:

🙃🤙

It is isn’t it!

8. What breed was Trigger?

I am not sure . His color was palomino so I would think he would have been an American breed possibly quarter horse.

I asked on Facebook and a friend replied he was an American Saddlebred. That seems likely as he is not really a Quarter horse look but the ASB would be a good fit. Thanks for asking Michael!