Today’s Inspiration!

Some will say that I have been uncommonly lucky. I shall not disagree. But I believe that luck has a cause, like anything else, and I believe there exists a mental attitude capable of shaping circumstances more or less according to one’s wishes.

Alexandra David-Neel

What an amazing quote; the idea that we can create our own luck and with our mindset shape the circumstances of our lives. Alexandra David-Neel was a remarkable woman . Born in France in 1868 she was a travel adventurer and one of her quests was to get to the Tibetan city of Lhasa and see the Potala Palace.

The fact that Tibet was forbidden to foreigners did not deter her . In 1924, at the age of 56, she put on the rags of a Tibetan pilgrim and accompanied by a young Tibetan monk she walked. Yes, walked, from the west of China to Tibet and to Lhasa. She smeared her face with dirt to darken her skin. Under her rags she carried a compass, a pistol, and a purse with some money in case she needed to pay a ransom. Her journey is recorded in her book “My Journey to Lhasa” published in 1927. It is a journey that was filled with extreme danger and physical hardship. But she succeeded in getting to Lhasa. She was the first white woman ever to do so at that time

Considering the impossibility of this quest I have to say that Alexandra David-Neel clearly believed that her mental attitude shaped the circumstances of this journey and indeed her life. She took on the impossible and she succeeded.

Madame David-Neel riding a Yak on her way to Shigatze. This was before her trek to Lhasa .

1. Lesley says:

Very inspiring!

2. Amazing inspirational woman & interesting that in those days it was rare to even reach that age. Mum & I just finished watching a doco on A little woman Gladys Aylward who trekked with 100 orphans to escape the war in China. I freak out some days just getting in the car & going to town. Thanks for sharing.

3. Sarah Davis says:

Fascinating woman. I’m now doing a deeper dive into her history. Thanks

I’m happy to hear you want to know more about Madame Neel. She was an extraordinary woman.

4. Thanks for sharing this maa, it is inspiring. She did what she likes and so succeeded.

I’m glad you found it inspiring. She was quite a woman!

5. This is very interesting and inspiring.

6. Sounds like a heck of good yarn.

And a true one as well!

1. Like Sir Richard Burton going to Mecca.

I didn’t know he did that!

Incredible story and one extremely brave woman. Wow, her passion goes beyond words. Thank you for sharing!

You’re.most welcome Diana

What a plucky woman – and I also note that she was 56 when she did this! I assumed that she was much younger than me but no! Two years older than me. Perhaps I could trek somewhere exciting in the next couple of years (with the help of a yak/donkey/horse/bicycle)?

She was insanely brave. The trek to Lasha was entirely on foot. Disguised as a pilgrim she could not have any animals to carry things or her. She and her monk companion encountered terrible weather and nearly froze to death at one point. And for her if she was revealed as a foreign woman trying to enter the forbidden city she would have been killed. But she was a scholar of Tibetan Buddhism and had lived aa a hermit in the north of China so she was prepared. But if you go on a trek I recommend a mule or donkey. 🙂

Don’t tempt me. I always remember reading an account of a woman who trkked around the British (or maybe it was Welsh) coast with a donkey that refused to be led by a rope, but followed along if the woman walked ahead, leaving the rope free! I quite fancied a trip with a donkey. Lots of donkeys in Ireland too.

Well donkeys sometimes have a mind of their own.

Although, after the broken leg incident last year, I don’t think that my husband would trust me not to fall over again!