Naima Moriera Laliberte has made her decision about Florida.

Naima is the fourth Canadian Dressage rider that I have asked about their plans for the winter. Before Covid most of the top Canadian riders always went to Florida for the winter competition season . So I was interested to know if Covid, travel restrictions on the Canadian border and high numbers of Covid infections in the State of Florida was making a difference. Here are Naima’s answers.

1.Are you going to Florida this winter to compete?

Yes . I actually am currently in Wellington .

2.How did you arrive at this decision?

I put a fair amount of thought into heading down to Florida this winter, however I ultimately felt that since my trainer is based down in Florida and it looks like they will be having a full show season it would be the best opportunity for me and my horses to get the training and show season we need with our goals still set for Tokyo 2021.

3. Do you have any concerns about going?

Of course, there are concerns and the risk is there. However, I believe strongly this is where I need to be. We are all trying our best to stay healthy and safe.

Naima and Statesman competing at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival March 2020
Naima and Statesman at the AGDF March 2020
Naima and her other horse, I Do Kiss, at the AGDF March 2020

I wish Naima and also Megan Lane the best of luck with their competitions this winter in Wellington FL. I know they have made the decision to go after much thought and consideration.

1. da-AL says:

what difficult choice β€” I’m wishing them the best too

2. Marsha says:

I wish them the best. The vaccination is coming soon. It may reach AZ by Sunday. We have traveled from CA to AZ, sold our house and bought another with no problems. We social distance, wash our hands, use sanitizer, wear masks when necessary, and don’t go into big crowds. We have stayed safe. Thanks for sharing this. You share such interesting information, Anne.

Thank you. I’m glad you found it of interest. We will have the vaccine here as of next Tuesday. But the process of vaccinating everyone will be something that will take a considerable time. Patience will needed.

1. Marsha says:

Yes, our group will probably be among the last. Front line defense first including grocery clerks, teachers and those in nursing care. Then in a year or so retirees who don’t get too much exposure.

As we are in our 70s we are supposed to get our shots once the front line workers and elder home residents over 80 get theirs.

1. Marsha says:

I’m not sure what the plan is once the front line workers and nursing home residents get theirs. We are close and my husband is 74. So we’ll see. The Pfizer vaccine was tested 95% effective in preventing cases and 100% effective in preventing death.

It seems the biggest challenge with the Pfizer is it has to be stored at -70 . Up here only hospitals have freezers capable of that. So they are saying that the Moderna vaccine may be the one that they can take to the elders homes. It is expected to be approved by end of the month.

3. Marsha says:

Yes, our county in California has the same issue. There are no storage places with that capability. Our county supervisor was in on our zoom meeting, and so I’m sure if there’s anything possible to do, he will figure it out. I’m glad you are getting something right away. I heard on the news that in AZ, probably Phoenix, the Pfizer vaccine could be here by Sunday. Yay! They are also saying that about half the Americans are reluctant to get the drug. I have to admit that I don’t get flu shots that are 75% effective, but this one tests out at 95% effective, so I think I would trust it. πŸ™‚

3. That’s great and now we are getting hopes of vaccination that can be a good news for many people.

4. As long as she wears a mask, social distance, and not go to crowded areas, she should be okay.

5. David says:

Naima made a sports decision, which is okay too. Like I noted before, a rider has to be comfortable with the decision they make, especially now. I do hope PBIEC offers routine testing to all of the riders. Mitigation (masks, physical distancing, hand washing, no spectators) is only part of the equation, but is virtually useless if there is no testing and no exposure protocols. COVID is a very crafty, very sneaky contagion that has shown the ability to work its way through any protection regime.

Yes it is a very clever and very sneaky virjs.

6. Prior... says:

I think you made the right choice- and I am glad that FL is allowing some events to go on – I really am – and best wishes to all with the show and with covid safety

Thank you amd I will pass on your good wishes to Naima and Megan