Monday Minstrel: The Windsor Grey Mares.

What happens to the horses that serve the Queen when they are older and no longer engaged in active ceremonial duties? I learned recently that they are retired to the Horse Trust. The thing that really peaked my interest was that I had met one of the recently retired Windsor Grey mares. Her name is Claudia and she had still been in service when I visited the Royal Mews in 2018.

She is in good health but it was felt the time had come to retire her from active duty . While at the Mews she would have had exercise in their indoor arena on days when she was not required for official duties.

Her ceremonial duties included being one of the lead outriders at the wedding of Prince Harry and Megan Markle.

Claudia has joined other retired Windsor Greys one of whom is Cloud. Cloud is her mother! Cloud and Claudia are now happily together in retirement.

Photo credit: The Horse Trust

Ah, they look so happy in retirement!

Yes they do and it seems they were happy to be together.

2. You have provided an example that these horses demonstrate to all of us how to enjoy our retirement years.

Awe, happy retirement ladies!! What a WONDERFUL post!! I just LOVE it! ❀️🐎🐴❀️ And I had no idea. Some special horses right there! πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks for this comment. They work hard these ceremonial horses and it is so nice to know they are looked after when they are older.

4. Tim Onayemi says:

What a nice story. Pleasant and rare like Royal Mares. Well-bred too

5. This was an interesting read. It is beautiful when older horses are being appreciated and cared for.

I agree. They have served well and deserve a good retirement.

So glad to see they are provided a comfortable retirement after years of service!

7. HOME Book says:

Lovely pics and a feel good outcome of a life well lived. The Queen really does care!

I think the Queen is a horse person for sure.