Monday Minstrel: Emily Carr and Friends.

Emily Carr ( 1871-1945)was a major Canadian artist inspired by the Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest. Last Saturday when I was in the Yorkville district of Toronto I found a statue of her entitled “Emily Carr and Friends” by Joe Farard.

Here is a photo of Emily taken during her life.

Clearly horses were a part of her life. Her paintings have a wonderful vibrancy. Here are two examples. Arbutus tree-1922 and Thunderbird-1929.

Happy Monday!

1. cigarman501 says:

I love the photograph. Reminds me of my grandmother except she would have been on a wagon behind the horse.

2. What a great statue! She had wonderful friends! 😉

3. Lignum Draco says:

Beautiful. I wonder how the monkey comes into her life?

I’m not sure. In the research I have done on her i have found dogs and horses but no monkeys.

4. The statue titled as with her friends also the painting clearly says how great human she is, deeply loving the nature around. She surely lived a beautiful life. Thanks for sharing ma’am

5. It seems that she had a lovely and loving life,

I think she did. She was ahead of her time as an artist but I think she knew she was appreciated in her lifetime.

I love the paintings and the fact that Emily Carr clearly loved her animals.

The color and life in her work reminds me of your work Emma.