What country has 9 Million equines?

What country has the third largest population of horses , donkeys and mules in the world? A total of nine million. Nine Million equines and 105 million humans. This is Ethiopia. In 2016 24% of the population lived below the international poverty line. But this was a decrease from 30% in 2011.

Ethiopian Flag.

Most of the nine million equines are working animals. In rural areas they transport grains, water, fuel, wood and agricultural products.In the cities they transport foods and people by cart. These working animals play an important role in the lives of many people and help many families to survive but the animals welfare is very poor. That is where the Brooke comes in.

“We work with equine owners and users to share knowledge and understanding of good equine health and husbandry practices. This includes promoting practices such as wound management, eye cleaning, watering, feeding, grooming and hoof picking, and discouraging practices like beating and overloading.”

Donkey in shelter in Ethiopia

One Ethiopian donkey owner Aklilu Menberu has this to say about how the Brooke has helped him.

“Now we know the symptoms before they get sick, we treat them well and give them the rest they need,” he said. “As I have four donkeys, I can give the working donkey a rest and use the others. Previously, I have never used a working donkey for more than a year. But now, I have my donkeys for more than three to four years.”

The Brooke has been working in developing countries, since 1934, helping to educate owners of equines and to improve the working conditions for them. The people depend on their horses and donkeys to make a living and one donkey may be supporting a whole family! For more information on the wonderful work of the Brooke visit their website. https://www.thebrooke.org/

All photos in this post are from the Brooke website.

1. I didnt know that about Ethiopia 🇪🇹😮 cool info

I’m glad you found it of interest. 🙂

2. Tina Schell says:

A wonderful testament to an important effort Anne. That final image says it all

I agree. Thank you for your comment.

3. Amy says:

So glad to hear that the Brooke is there… Thank you for the post, Anne!

You are most welcome Amy!

4. Mark Tulin says:

Interesting info on Ethiopia, Anne.

5. Very appealing little donkeys. The good husbandry practices promoted by this Brooke organization sound great – – good for the animals, good for the poor farmers. I would never have guessed a place with such chronic drought could sustain that many farm animals.

I agree it is astonishing and I am so glad that the Brooke can be there to educate owners and help these working equines. I see these countries and am reminded of what a privileged world I live in. Thank you for your comment.

6. Interesting info by you. I am reminded of our trip to Iceland which has a love affair with horses too.

I think that the horses in Iceland have easier lives than horses I countries like Ethiopia. Thanks for reading the post and commenting. I would love to go to Iceland sometime as I have ridden an Icelandic horse and they are great fun.

7. map195 says:

good one…thanks for share

You are welcome. Thanks for commenting.