Monday Minstrel:The Paint Horse.

IMG_20180624_1028160

This is a photo of a print of a Kiowa Warrior and Wife by Stephen Mopope ( 1898-1974). The Kiowa were Plains Natives and the horse  was  part of the family. The horse made it easier to hunt and to move camp. Paint  horses were especially valued as their coloring was not only attractive but added an element of camouflage when in the forests. According to Tamsin Pickerel in her book “The Horse- 30,00 Years of the Horse in Art”  Native Americans referred to horses as the “sacred dog” and decorated their warhorses with painted symbols to give then power and protection.

IMG_20180624_1030150

Here is another colored horse painted by Johann Georg von Hamilton in 1725.  But this  one  is Cerbero the favourite riding horse of Emperor Charles VI of Austria. Cerbero is performing a  ‘capriole’ one of the most advanced moves of the High School of Dressage.  The horses of the Native Americans were descendants of European horses and this may have been an ancestor of the Kiowa Paint horse.

1. NorCal Zen says:

Thank you for the history lesson!

You are most welcome

2. The paintings are beautiful. I am also just learning about the concept of ”painted horses”. Thanks for sharing. 😀🐴🐎

You are on the road to becoming a “horse person”. In England they call the horses piebald or skewbald and in North America they are called paint. Also they can be called pinto but the Paint is a recognized breed. Thanks for your comment!

3. kutukamus says:

Never heard of painted horses before. Interesting to know! 🍸

Yes, horses that are either black and white or brown and white are called “Paint” horses in North America. In Europe and other parts of the world they are called Piebald or Skewbald. Thank you for commenting!

4. iScriblr says:

Gorgeous! Loved them both – unique and wonderful!❤

Thank you . Glad you enjoyed them.

I have always known these as piebald and skewbald horses. Paint sounds more poetic, though.

I think that piebald and skewbald are the terms for black and white and brown and white in Britain. In North America they are called Paint and that covers brown and white and black and white. Paint does sound a bit nicer I think . The other two have that “bald” bit that sounds not so attractive.

I agree. I also think that in the UK that piebald and skewbalds are often big cart-horses type horse too. I am not sure why. I was fascinated to see the American “paint” horses. I loved the spots!

6. Very cool!! After a buckskin, the paint is a close second. When I lived in <Montana I learned to love them!

I like to see the “colored” horses. So many of the warmbloods are now black I fear we are loosing colors. ( i did not get the end of your comment. “When I lived in….” And then it cut off.)

1. Oh shoot. When I lived in Montana, that’s when I learned to love the paints.

Oddly enough the rest of your comment did finally appear. The Gnomes of the Internet must have been reading it first.

Montana! I got the rest of the sentence now. I’ve been having some nightmarish issues with email this past few days.

7. ericlfox says:

Thanks for another great post Anne. I love to see the prestige and honor given to these horses through the artwork and the history teacher in me appreciates the historical insights and context.

I’m so glad you found the post interesting. I have found Tamsin Pickerel’s book “The Horse” a treasure trove of art and history and have often shared photos in my Monday Minstrel posts. Thank you for taking time to comment.

8. Juli Hoffman says:

Beautiful! My horse was a quarter horse paint. She was lovly.

Oh, I imagine she was lovely. Thanks for letting me know about her.

9. Awesome art share… I love both, even if it is so different style 💕💕👍

Glad you liked them. I appreciate your comment.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w