Day Three: The South and Riding Shotgun

You know you are in the South (of the USA) when……

1. The first thing you see on the breakfast buffet is biscuits ( what I would call scones) in a nice warmer with a lid and beside it another covered warmer with a sign that says : “Peppered Gravy”.  I lifted the lid and looked at what was inside.  It was a greyish white semi-congealed substance with small black particles floating in it. This the Southern gravy.  I have tried it once but it was not a big hit with me. So here is what you do if you are a true Southerner. You put a couple of the warm biscuits ( which are very good btw) on your plate and then put a few dollops of the “gravy” on top and then you eat it……for breakfast.
  2. Once you cross the State border into Florida 60-80% of the drivers on the highway stop using turn signals. I think this may be part of the “Save the Turn Signal Bulbs Program”.  President Trump has said he will repeal and replace this program but so far there had been no progress on this.  Clearly, in Florida, drivers are still saving those bulbs. They randomly change lanes with no indication and this is great fun because it livens things up on the long, straight, flat, Florida Turnpike.
  3. The other thing Florida drivers do is to fool around with the normally accepted rule of the road that the faster moving vehicles travel in the left lanes and the slower vehicles in the right lanes.  This is the commonly accepted practice in the Northern USA and Canada.  However in Florida, and even in Georgia,  some drivers like to take their cars for a walk in the left lanes. This really adds to the challenge and excitement  of driving as you then have to weave  in and out of the slower traffic in the right lanes to get past the car walkers.  Gotta love it!!

Once we were onto the Florida Turnpike I knew we were nearing our destination. My Sunpass has been slumbering in my glove box since last spring but  sprang into action when needed. IMG_20171229_1111382

David travels with our little Schnauzer, Tia, riding shotgun in his truck.

IMG_20171229_1059450

Sometimes she gets down and has a nap on the seat. And at a stop for gas she takes  a look at the surroundings.

IMG_20171229_1256559

She is a good traveler and is very happy when she can dispense with her winter coat and go for a walk in the Florida mild temperatures.

We arrived at Palm City where we stay till mid April.  It has been a long drive down here and I am grateful we have all arrived safely.  And guess who I got to see this afternoon?  I went  over to the  barn, which is only five minutes away, and there was my friend Biasini.

IMG_20171229_1615131

He was happy to see me and tomorrow I will take him for a walk around the property, with a friend from Indiana, who is also here with her horse.

1. Miss A says:

Oh Biasini has the kindest eyes!

Yes he does have kind eye. You have observed that well.

2. So glad you made it safely! I hope you have so much fun in the Sunshine State!

Yes! Biasini is very adaptable if there is hay and his usual meals he’s happy. He has two neighbours that he knows from last year and he’s easy going about them too.

4. Just noticed I should have wrote 30 years. Tend to use my phone when away from home.

No worries! I’ve been in ontario for 34 years after 14 years in England and growing up in western Canada. Time becomes irrelevant after awhile.

5. Yeah, I don’t like the gravy either! You’re absolutely right that Florida roads are straight and flat. Similar to I 70 across Kansas. And people drive like that all over. The drivers in Montana put their signal on as they were halfway in to their turn. I don’t think there’s anything such as drivers training anymore. Very few people understand the rules of the road! ☹️☹️

I agree and i have to say that curious driving appears in our part of Canada too! On the whole i found drivers in England were much better and seemed to know their cars better when I lived there.

1. It’s too bad we have to go to England to find good drivers!

However one blogger from Wales commented on less than perfect driving there. Nowhere is perfect i guess. The British Do ovserve lane rules but they do it at speed! Anyway. Happy New Year and all the best fo 2018. Will you be posting about your own driving accomplishments?

3. If you go to my website, you’ll see a new page added called independence through hand controls. I haven’t written another update since then. But it’s going great! I feel very, very comfortable! Thank you for all your caring thoughts!

Great! I shall take a look!

Thanks Danny and all the best for the New Year!

1. dray0308 says:

Happy New Year!

People drive like that in Swansea too! I guess if you expect them never to signal then its not so bad!!! Glad you got to Florida safely!

Oh! I always thought drivers in England and Wales were better but it’s been a long time since i lived there and was driving regularly.

7. thinkinkadia says:

That’s hilarious! Car walking, saving bulbs, and livening up a potential boring drive. About the gravy, sounds terribleh, but might taste better if home made😉
    Glad you made it back to Biasini and more predictable grounds!

Thanks for your comment.I have only tried the gravy once in a restaurant so it may not have been a good sampling of it. Although it was a place that specialized in Southern dishes. I think the appearance of it is difficult for me as well.

1. thinkinkadia says:

😄Dislikes in food choices probably help control intake anyway! Its a good thing.

8. doar nicole says:

Saying hi to you all, Anne, David, Tia and Biasini… glad you arrived safely, and wishing you a wonderful stay! 🙂 Cute episodes on the move, interesting too, details about habits and ways there, very nice!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the travel posts. I have unpacked and now will catch up with all the bloggers that i have not been able to read for a few days! Thank you for your kind comment.

9. Awesome! Bet it’s really sweet to get to see him there, all content, just waiting for his friend to show up!
    What a contrasting life, right!?

10. I agree with you. They were things we were surprised at when we came over almost 20 years ago.

Ha-ha! I thought of you while I was writing this post Susie. I wondered if you might have found them curious as well.

1. Sure did. Instead of a full English breakfast, Len loves biscuits and sausage gravy.

Well lots of people do. He’s not alone.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w