Monday Minstrel: Jamini Roy and a Bengali horse

Jamini Roy, 1887-1972 was on of the most important artists of the modern period in India He drew on the popular and folk traditions of Bengal for his inspiration.  In this sketch the elongated head of the horse shows proximity and the large eyes are a characteristic feature of Jamini Roy’s style.

This sketch is in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London England. 2013GK1416_2500

1. (HorseLover4Ever) Elizabeth says:

Very interesting!!!! So sorry I haven’t been on your blog lately!!! Our internet at our house has been down, and has not been connected for days!!!!! So now is is finally working…. 🙂 🙂

No worries! As long as you are well the internet is just a frustration

2. I do not know anything about this artist, but I truly like the sketch. I intend to look up more of his work!

He is new to me as well but I was looking for other artists from India and found this in the V& A collection. Glad you found it interesting and thanks for your comment.

3. Hi im aiden and i am crosscountrylifeblog.com ‘s brother. he showed me your blog and I really like it. good job on 500 followers buy the way! your olmost at 600 now!

Hi Aiden. Are you going on the cross-country trip as well as your brother? Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

1. yes I am going too it is going to be very exciting and intreging in my oppinion.

4. Izrael says:

Thank you for the introducing me to this artist. I will be looking for his artwork online. Much love ❤

You are most welcome.

Thanks for the reblog!

1. dray0308 says:

You are welcome!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )