The Monday Minstrel: It started here.

When I was eight years old I spent several weeks on a cattle ranch in Wyoming.  Yes, that’s me in the photo. No helmet and not even a cowboy hat. But  I did have the right boots. The horse was called Amos.  He was a horse, not a pony and for the life of me ,though I remember his name, I don’t know how I got up onto a full sized horse. I think I was just thrown up there by one of the cowboys.

Life on the ranch was a little girl’s dream. It was summer and everything was outdoors. Not like school days and the interior and inside classrooms days.  Every day  I was on the horse and out on the trails; sometimes taking part with rounding up cattle or young horses.

This was the beginning of my love of horses and riding.  It started here.

img_20161227_1413502

1. Elizabeth (HorseLover4Ever) says:

That is so cool that your love for horses goes WAAAY back!!! So cool…. 🙂

Indeed. I did have a long gap after school years but I got back to it.

How wonderful to discover your passion for horses at such a young age.

Yes. I went on riding until I was about 19 and then life intervened and I did not ride for 30 years. I came back to it when my daughter started to ride. I am still riding now and it is such a great joy for me. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Lovely photo. I bet you treasure that piece.

I do treasure it for two reasons. First I remember that time clearly despite it being almost 60 years ago. Second it could be a photo of my daughter when she was the age. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

4. We can ALL see ourselves in you, up there, secretly absolutely adoring the sweet smell of summer horse, and falling helplessly for it all. A great start!

Yes I think most of us who love horses had this kind of start.

5. Avery says:

Great photo! Amos looks like a gem. We all have that moment when it all began.

Yes we do and thank goodness we found horses.

6. Nilzeitung says:

Quote from unknown man
    Each horse deserves to be loved at least once in his life, by a little girl. – Unknown

This is a lovely quote and so very true! Thank you.

1. Nilzeitung says:

with pleasure,,,.with pleasure

7. nathaswami says:

It is the wish of every one to live in a ranch for some time and enjoy the life of a cowboy – though not permanently.

I agree. The winter in Wyoming would be a different matter altogether!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )