Totilas: the Demise of a Superstar.

I learned that sad news today that Totilas was euthanized following surgery for colic. What a loss. When he and Edward Gal were together he was the Superstar of Dressage. He may be gone but he will not be forgotten. RIP Totilas.

HorseAddict

Unforgettable is also the explanation of the rider that he didn’t feel anything of an injury in the saddle. And also the judges did not make a good impression. They could have ended the test. If only they had the courage.”-Isabell Werth

Isabell Werth has the courage to speak the truth about that last time dressage superstar Totilas appeared in the competition ring at the European Championships 2015.  I saw it on video and even to me it was clear the horse was uneven. There were boos coming from the spectators. But the ride continued on, right to the end.

Then the next day, after Germany had won the bronze medal, Totilas was pulled from further competition and the world was told he would be retiring.

I saw Totilas first at Olympia in London when he was being ridden by Dutch rider Edward Gal. I was in the…

View original post 389 more words

Yes it is sad. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

1. It’s so sad humans put money first and used Totilas for making money. He deserved better.

Yes it is. He was such a star and brought dressage to a whole new level.

2. JD says:

Damn the colic. Devastating to read about his final performance.

I think what they did to him making him perform at those Championships was disgraceful. I think he did have a better time in his retirement . That is a consolation.

Such very sad news which I saw on my social media feed. May this beautiful horse rest in peace and be galloping free in pastures beyond. Thank you for sharing ❤️

It is sad. But also I see it as a merciful release for him. He will not be forgotten.

4. KShai1715 says:

Such sad news.
    I still grieve over horses I’ve lost, including my mini mare I just put down at the beginning of December.

I can’t even imagine what Totilas connections are feeling after losing such an amazing mega horse.

I have lost horses too. It is a heartbreaker. I imagine Edward Gal will be sad this evening. They had such a wonderful partnership. That was really the height of Totilas stardom.

5. Judy says:

Can’t bring myself to Like this. Colic is horrible. It was a deciding factor in letting go of my horse. He survived a colic that should have killed him, but I knew it was only a matter of time. May Mr. Gal be comforted. Never easy.